The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

18" tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well thats what i was mainly wondering about...i shouldn't have any problems with the wider tire...just the taller.

how far were you lowered? what setup did you have?

-james

james13 said:
I have 18x8 falken torque 5 wheels with 225/40 tires.

i was just wondering if anyone has ran a 235/45 tire on their 18x8s?

-james

Attempting to run 235/45/18's on a 2g DSM would be impractical for several reasons:
1. You would have to use a wheel offset of about +30mm or less. This would likely cause accelerated bearing wear.
2. With wheels set so wide you would need to run your suspension higher to prevent fender rubbing.
3. Your speedometer and gear ratios would be affected somewhat.

Yes.
What is your offset?
Is your suspension lowered?
Have you adjusted rear camber?

If your offset is +35mm AND you mount 235 width tires AND you lower your suspension AND you adjust your negative camber to make it more positive (less negative), you will almost certainly have fender rubbing problems. Fender rolling is a must and you may be able to alieviate the rubbing with adjustable ride height (coilovers).

Yeah, stock height and 18s work fine. But lowered height, even a 1.2" drop will be murder on 18s. I was lowered 1.5" on 18s, and every time my suspension compresses, BAM...my unrolled (and highly sharp) rear fender would hit the upper sidewall of my tear...tearing up some rubber! I drove like this for about a week before I had to get some 17s. No problems with 17s.

So, if you like 18s, don't lower.
If you want to lower, get 17s.

Smoothie97 said:
Yeah, stock height and 18s work fine. But lowered height, even a 1.2" drop will be murder on 18s. I was lowered 1.5" on 18s, and every time my suspension compresses, BAM...my unrolled (and highly sharp) rear fender would hit the upper sidewall of my tear...tearing up some rubber! I drove like this for about a week before I had to get some 17s. No problems with 17s.

So, if you like 18s, don't lower.
If you want to lower, get 17s.

Actually it's the width that causes problems. You can slice up a set of 235/45/17's just as quickly as 235/40/18's if you don't roll the fender flange.

Yeah the combination of too wide and wrong offset will slice those tires up. In the front when I was lowered on 18s, it was funny. My wheels would hit the fender...and after a couple of times I check for damage. I was surprised that nothing was bent..but all those bolts that hold the inner wheel plastic cover all fell out! wow

I'm running 18/8 with 41mm offset and 235/40 tires and no rubbing at all the car is lowered 1.5 inches and the allignment is within spec..

Even when you hit a pothole or a bump? No rubbing? On one instance, I cut up some rubber as I entered a Blockbuster entrance ramp. It cut off a sliver all the way around the tire about 2 mm thick.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back