The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1 external wastegate on split manifold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funfettie

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Alright, So I have a split port twin/scroll turbo setup, and the internal wastegate setup just isnt working for me. The actuator(turbosmart actuator) is maxed out on springs and cant keep shut under hard boost (34psi). So im looking to go external, ad my question is, do i need to run 2 external gates seeing that its split port, or can i get away with piping both sides exhaust runners to a single wastegate?

The turbo is a MAP evo10ef4, so i thought about removing the flapper and tossing the external gate in there, but MAP says this.

"we tested it and removing the internal flapper did result in significantly slower spool. Keep the internal actuator in place with a straight boost source and run a second boost source with boost controller to the external wastegate"

Thoughts/opinions?
Thanks!

Just research it, when I was building my Supra I ended up just water-jetting my flanges. Depending on your fabricating skills and assuming you have access to water-jet, laser or even a cnc machine its fairly easy. Don't really want to mention flame cutting because of the horrible finish and risk of warping but one more option. When you start building cars and motors sometimes you have to get creative.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back