1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Would you run this South Bend pressure plate

Posted by Dhan, Oct 6, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Dhan

Dhan Supporting Member

Joined Apr 29, 2010
    Denver, Colorado
    Would you run this PP in a 300hp car?

Had my rotating assembly balanced by a local machine shop, which included the crank, pistons, rods, and clutch assembly. It was only after I got it home I noticed they welded a big bead on my pressure plate. Was this to add weight and balance the assembly or are they reinforcing a hairline crack?
    I called and asked the shop a few days later after I saw it but the only guy that does the balancing was gone for the day. They said they'd get back to me first thing in the morning. When no one called by noon the next day, I called again and they said he's out of town :banghead:

They aren't a shady shop by any means and did a great job on everything, so I'm not worried, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask about it on here. I have had clutch drag issues in the past so maybe the PP has always had a hairline crack and I never noticed, and its the cause of my high rpm clutch drag.

@twicks69

Attached Files:

2K  4

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    I would not run it until he tells you why he welded it.

I'm sure it would hold that crack up nicely, no doubt. But that's not a reliable or accurate way to "balance" it.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

332  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

249  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  3. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Shops weld on things all the time to balance them.

I'd probably run tgat. I'm astonished that they balanced a used pressure plate.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM