The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Wiseco ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dang you only live 17 miles from me. What's the big difference between the 9:1 ratio and 8:3:1

i thought stock 2g was 8:3:1, anyways i would jump on this deal now im just in some tight budgets right now and have to figure out if im gonna rebuild the motor b4 i go off to college or not.

pm'd u just throwing some figures out, i wanna do another compression test on my car too first.

Uh, stock 2G is 8.5:1. That's a significant difference than 9:1, especially if you want to run a decent amount of boost on the street and not blow your motor to smithereens.

90AWDEclipse said:
Well higher a compression ratio will give you more horsepower. And 9:1 is about the same as a stock turbo 2g.

2g pistons are 8:5:1 pistons, also something to thing about is that higher compression pistons may give you more torque; however the lower compression pistons allow you to run higher boost applications. You still get the same amount of horsepower with either piston.

Luke

edit: i didn't see keymasters previous statement so sorry for pointing that out again.

keymaster said:
Uh, stock 2G is 8.5:1. That's a significant difference than 9:1, especially if you want to run a decent amount of boost on the street and not blow your motor to smithereens.

Okay well if you have 8.5:1 comp and you run 20 psi, or if you run 9:1 comp at 20 psi there is no difference except that you will have a little more power will 9:1 comp. (because if you have higher comp is kinda like running more boost) And why would your car blow to smitherines; isn't running high boost and pistons being able to handle it the purpose of forged internals.

90AWDEclipse said:
Okay well if you have 8.5:1 comp and you run 20 psi, or if you run 9:1 comp at 20 psi there is no difference except that you will have a little more power will 9:1 comp. (because if you have higher comp is kinda like running more boost) And why would your car blow to smitherines; isn't running high boost and pistons being able to handle it the purpose of forged internals.

Higher compression leads to higher tempratures which in turn leads to more of a chance for detonation. That is why they say that higher compression and boost does not mix for street driven cars. The reason that higher compression creates more torque is because there is more energy involved in the explosion than a lower compression engine. The same reason higher compression creates more power in NA applications. 9.0 -1 comp on a boosted car is fine as long as you tune for it and keep boost reasonable.

90AWDEclipse said:

This is true however you will have a harder time of tuning the 9:1 than the 8:5. Also you would be able to raise the boost a little more and be able to tune it easier using the 8:5. Don't get me wrong there are tons of people that use 9:1 and do great, its just easier to tune 8:5 on high boost applications.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back