The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wiseco pistons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been working under a hood for three years now, I've done rebuilds before, this doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not I can do the work this has to do with getting the engine bored properly good pistons then a good tune. This is just about the piston, not who's the better mechanic.

I was gonna run some wiseco standard pistons in my tsi. Now I'm skeptical myself. I'm going to talk to my machine shop to make sure my block was bored to OE spec in accordance with my pistons. You should do this also.

I've been working under a hood for three years now, I've done rebuilds before, this doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not I can do the work this has to do with getting the engine bored properly good pistons then a good tune. This is just about the piston, not who's the better mechanic.

Apparently you haven't read this thread, it does have to do with who is a better mechanic. Improper installation and specs, ruins parts regardless of quality of the product.

gearhed4G63, you say it has nothing to do with been a better mechanic and say you've been working under a hood for 3 years, yet you asked and I quote your above post "Also I was talking to a guy he was saying that lower compresion is better for boosted cars is this true as well? " ... A person who understands how an engine works knows the answer to that question without knowing about high performance modified cars... If you knew whats happening inside the combustion chamber you wouldnt ask this question, so how come you think you know how to rebuild engines or diagnose a engine failure without knowing how a 4stroke engine works... Like I always say, theres a huge difference and gap between automotive mechanics and automotive technicians. Mechanics are just R&R techs and technicians diagnose faults and problems. In order to diagnose a faulty engine, first you have to understand how the engine works in order to find out why the fault happened in the first place... Kudos to those who want to wrench and modify their own cars, but if your job is a 8-5 office job, leave it to us whos real carrer are under hoods...

I bet most people think the piston is moved up and down by the crankshaft... ITS NOT !!!! The crankshaft job aint to move the pistons up and down...

Last edited:
I do understand and comprehend how an engine works, yes I know the higher the compression the bigger the stroke. I'm knowledgeable about the fact that bigger injectors make a bigger combustion. Im very aware with what goes on under a hood. I'm fairly new to the boosted world, yes I know how a turbo works. But still trying to understand the effects on the cylinder. From forced induction. We don't need to trolling here.

I do understand and comprehend how an engine works, yes I know the higher the compression the bigger the stroke. I'm knowledgeable about the fact that bigger injectors make a bigger combustion. Im very aware with what goes on under a hood. I'm fairly new to the boosted world, yes I know how a turbo works. But still trying to understand the effects on the cylinder. From forced induction. We don't need to trolling here.

The higher the compression the bigger the stroke? Bigger injectors make a bigger combustion? Dude u are so wrong, where are you getting your information?

How come if you understand how an engine works you asking some guy if low compression pistons are better for tubo cars...

Bigger injectors dont make greater combustion... Did Torreto said that at The Fast and The Furious movie??? What makes a better "power stroke" is the right combined ratio of greater airflow volume, greater fuel volume and the exact ignition to heat the fuel and air ratio in order to achieve greater power.. If the right amount of combustion power is changed without a balance ratio, you wont have an efficient power stroke and in terms the engine will either run a rich or poor ratio..

Secondly, If you are turbocharging a natural aspirated car or changing to a bigger turbo in a already turbo car, that means what???? That means the combustion chamber will see a greater increase in air volume. That means if the air volume increases, the fuel volume needs to be increased and the spark needed to heat the air/fuel ratio needs to be efficient. Think of it this way. A turbo is literally a compressor. Natural aspiration builds the motor for a constant 1 atmosphere of pressure, and effective compression does not change, and the way air fuel ratios and heat work, there's an upper limit on compression. Forced induction builds the motor for a variable input of pressure, thus making the effective compression that much greater than the static compression which is at 1 atmosphere. Increases in boost, which is literal compression (just like an air compressor) will cause higher effective compression levels in the cylinders. Basicly, too much compression or too much heat kills motors. In terms, a turbocharge engine should run lower compression piston than natural aspirated engine. You can also lower the compression ratio by other means like thicker head gaskets...

Now do you get how an engine works and behave ???

Is it the proper gap? Also I was talking to a guy he was saying that lower compression is better for boosted cars is this true as well?

Lower static compression pistons are better for boosted cars. Our dynamic compression is very high at full boost. I am running 30 psi right now and I would say my dynamic compression is 14-18:1 at full boost. I am sure there is a way to calculate it and I hope someone chimes in :D

Have you decided on a CR for your build? I love my 9:1! Wish I would have went higher now that I am blending E-85 in too! Probably 9.5 would have been fine for me. There is a local here with 10.5:1 on 100% E-85 running 9.60s in his street car!!!

i started working for Chrysler in 1977 and i do all kinds of automotive work and when it came time to having my block done i went with a reputable machine shop. they had to go .40 over and they installed my manley pistons and eagle rods with race bearings. so far engine doesn't burn a drop of oil and runs great

Some of you might not agree with this but I bought a set of 3 pistons that are Wiseco 20 over off of ricky aka daCOWgod. The 4th piston in that set had a failure on that cyclinder for what ever reason. I never got to see it but the other 3 were in excellent shape with no cracks or damage. I ended up ordering another standard 9:1 compression piston from Wiseco to complete the set. I then took the set to a shop and had the block bored.020 over and installed them on my brand new Eagle rods. I drive my car like I stole it. It has seen 30psi and more knock then I would like to have seen due to a few bad pulls during tuning. Im on the same engine roughly 12,000 miles. Driven to the shootout and back. I have not torn down the engine to see if I have any cracks or abnormal stress on the pistons that are visible and I intend not too.

I know there are some threads going back and fourth on how some people are techs and other mechanics. You dont have to be a tech for a living to know how to work on an engine. Its a matter of intelligence and patients. Someone who does it for a living will have far more experience then one who does this in there garage but it doesnt mean we are not capable. I garuntee you there are far more people on here with a day job not as a mechanic that assemble engine and race them then there are that do have a job as a mechanic,technician. The occupations for the DSMers I know are as follows, nuclear refueler, IT networking, truck driver, and myself work in a laboratory. I could of been a auto tech at some dealership but every one I know in that field ends up hating cars so why would I want to kill my passion by working on everyone elses crap and burning myself out.

They are not bad, but when it comes from push to shove, I will take manley every time! I had a set of wisecos and they weren't bad, but I replaced them with manleys. Every piston in my set was exactly to the gram the same weight. I was impressed with that.

:thumb: I'm glad to see that someone else uses something out of the norm. I was kinda getting bashed in a different thread about wanting to use something than the off the shelf internals for my 420a. Yeah I would need to have them custom ordered but to me it would be worth it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back