The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Wiseco 1400HD 10.5:1 Rings Gap ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pursuit

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 3, 2007
las vegas, Nevada
I am currently building high compression motor STD cylinder bore size, and about to drop the pistons and rods in, just still don't know what the proper gap for my goal should be, 800hp+ e85 35+ boost , going to rev to 10k rpm . I am thinking about 22 top and 24 bottom what you guys think ?

Call Wiseco directly, they'll have the best answer for you.

Wiseco seems to usually recommend abit on the tight side compared to what guys have had good luck running. I would say your probably in the ballpark with those gaps for your goals. What PTW do you plan to run?

I am the engine builder , and wiseco will tell me same thing as it says on paper that comes with the rings . I just want to have opinion from someone who use these and knows, and what makes you people think customer service at wiseco will tell me something different, they are mostly idiots. I need to speak with someone who have build something like this in the past .

Wiseco seems to usually recommend abit on the tight side compared to what guys have had good luck running. I would say your probably in the ballpark with those gaps for your goals. What PTW do you plan to run?
About the ptw wiseco recommend .0035 but I did .0050 I had good luck with that ptw before .

And i will probably go with 22\24 or 25 if i dont find answer better answer.

I would recommend 22-23 for the top and 26-27 for the bottom :) that's what i did. My engine doesn't plan on making that much power at this time, however, when i built it, i kept a similar hp number in mind as yours..

About the ptw wiseco recommend .0035 but I did .0050 I had good luck with that ptw before .

And i will probably go with 22\24 or 25 if i dont find answer better answer.

Wiseco recommended .0030-.0035 for a 600 awhp goal. Ring gaps of .017-.019 & .019-.021.

I thought that PTW was still on the tight side, I did .0040 (with their break-in coating), which should leave me around .0045 when it wears. .0045-.0050 including coating is probably about right for the power your looking to make as well.

My ring gaps are in the range Wiseco recommended. There's posts on the Link boards with a bunch of guys Wiseco setups & I based my specs on what seemed to work for others with similiar goals.

Your plans sound good to me, but seeing as I'm not making as much as you plan too, hopefully someone making that kind of power can confirm.

Wiseco recommended .0030-.0035 for a 600 awhp goal. Ring gaps of .017-.019 & .019-.021.

I thought that PTW was still on the tight side, I did .0040 (with their break-in coating), which should leave me around .0045 when it wears. .0045-.0050 including coating is probably about right for the power your looking to make as well.

My ring gaps are in the range Wiseco recommended. There's posts on the Link boards with a bunch of guys Wiseco setups & I based my specs on what seemed to work for others with similiar goals.

Your plans sound good to me, but seeing as I'm not making as much as you plan too, hopefully someone making that kind of power can confirm.

With my previous setup i was pushing around 600hp with same PTW clearance on STD size stock 6 bolt block with drop in rings no gapping was made, and the engine was runing great for 15k miles. I was pushing it way too hard 36psi with my hx40 and the wrist pin broke, but when i took everything apart , pistons , rings alsto cylinder walls , were looking amazing and i was reving the motor up to 9k rpm all the time...

I called Wiseco as I am using the same pistons. They told me to NEVER refer to the sheet that is included as an "actual" guideline. Talk to a reputable engine shop or your personal builder.

I gapped my own rings and am running a .019 and .024

I called Wiseco as I am using the same pistons. They told me to NEVER refer to the sheet that is included as an "actual" guideline. Talk to a reputable engine shop or your personal builder.

I gapped my own rings and am running a .019 and .024

Well like i said before i am the builder , and ive never build anything over 600hp before. I ask few reputable big dogs , but they wont just give their specs like that.

Lame that they wont try to point you in the right direction... We called Sound Performance during our 2jz build and asked a few questions in regards to the ACL x-series bearings we are using and they pointed us down the right path.

Like I previously stated though, I have the 1400HD e85 pistons and my gaps are .019 and .024. The car is going to be s366 powered with goals of mid 9's, however you want to put that in terms of power level...

Lame that they wont try to point you in the right direction... We called Sound Performance during our 2jz build and asked a few questions in regards to the ACL x-series bearings we are using and they pointed us down the right path.

Like I previously stated though, I have the 1400HD e85 pistons and my gaps are .019 and .024. The car is going to be s366 powered with goals of mid 9's, however you want to put that in terms of power level...

I have pretty much the same plans. mid to high 9s one day :) about the gap ill go with 22 top 25 bottom. Rings stock out of the box are 18 top 22 bottom

What part number are the pistons you bought?

If they are K656M85 then they are NOT 10.5:1 in a 63 block and 63 crank. They come out to around 9.3:1-9.5:1 depending on head gasket thickness. When used in the later Evo's that part number yields a 10:1 CR (they have a 43cc comb chamber and we have a 47cc, 4ccs = 0.5cr points all else being equal)

If they are 10:1 when used with a smaller combustion chamber how the hell are they supposed to be 0.5 points higher when used with a larger one?

I bought them expecting the 10.5:1 and then on the box it says when used in a 64 block and 64 crank which boggles my mind because they sell them in sizes too small for the 64 OEM bore.

I am not running your HP level and never intend to LOL. I do not remember what I gapped them to but with a .035 ptw clearance they ended up being in spec for my use out of the box.

It ended up working out for me since i don't get E85 on island but it may suck for you if you wanted the higher compression.

What part number are the pistons you bought?

If they are K656M85 then they are NOT 10.5:1 in a 63 block and 63 crank. They come out to around 9.3:1-9.5:1 depending on head gasket thickness. When used in the later Evo's that part number yields a 10:1 CR (they have a 43cc comb chamber and we have a 47cc, 4ccs = 0.5cr points all else being equal)

If they are 10:1 when used with a smaller combustion chamber how the hell are they supposed to be 0.5 points higher when used with a larger one?

I bought them expecting the 10.5:1 and then on the box it says when used in a 64 block and 64 crank which boggles my mind because they sell them in sizes too small for the 64 OEM bore.

I am not running your HP level and never intend to LOL. I do not remember what I gapped them to but with a .035 ptw clearance they ended up being in spec for my use out of the box.

It ended up working out for me since i don't get E85 on island but it may suck for you if you wanted the higher compression.

it doesn't really matter if they are 10.5:1 or 10.0:1. ill just add more timing to increase the work pressure in the cylinder. like i did on my stock 6 bolt block 30psi boost and lots of timing. to make the turbo spool quicker. with E85 i can do aggressive tune that's why i love it .

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back