The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

wiring shiftbox help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ForcedFour.com

Shift Box BASIC Installation Instructions

1991-1992 DSM's

Wiring instructions:

IMPORTANT NOTE: If used with a TCU or other method of controlling the transmission, follow the instructions closely. Only one way of controlling the transmission should be powered on at one time to prevent unexpected control of the transmission or damage to the TCU. Use the supplied switch to switch between transmission controls or substitute a suitable relay. Updated!
If the transmission shifts from 1st to 4th to 3rd to 2nd, then the shift solenoid wires are reversed
Using the Shift Box BASIC as a standalone transmission controller:

Red wire is +12 volt power from the ignition switch
Black wire is ground, connect to a good clean chassis ground
White wire splices with the Tacho output from the ECU
Yellow wire goes to the Shift Solenoid A
Brown wire goes to the Shift Solenoid B
Optional wires for external shifter control:
White/Black wire is the shift input common (sensor ground) for use with an external shifter
Purple wire is the up-shift button (short to white/black wire to perform up-shift)
White/Purple wire is the down-shift button (short to white/black wire to perform down-shift)
Any remaining wires should be capped
Using the Shift Box BASIC with TCU or other transmission controller:

Red wire is +12 volt power from the ignition switch, connect as follows using switch harness

* NOTE: On the fuse block there are 2 wires from the TCU fuse, both must be cut and spliced together through the supplied switch harness to prevent the TCU from being powered when the shift box is being used.
Red wire to Green switch harness wire
Yellow switch harness wire to fuse block harness (Power from TCU fuse)
Brown switch harness wire to fuse block harness (This will power the TCU)

Black wire is ground, connect to a good clean chassis ground
White wire splices with the Tacho output from the ECU
Yellow wire goes to Shift Solenoid A
White/Yellow wire goes to the TCU Shift Solenoid A output
Brown wire goes to the Shift Solenoid B
White/Brown wire goes to the TCU Shift Solenoid B output
Optional wires for external shifter control:
White/Black wire is the shift input common (sensor ground) for use with an external shifter
Purple wire is the up-shift button (short to white/black wire to perform up-shift)
White/Purple wire is the down-shift button (short to white/black wire to perform down-shift)
Any remaining wires should be capped

Picture stays tho!:thumb: COX

Op I gotta say thats the laziest thing ive ever seen "its the plus "Im putting in a 91 talon awd".Not even opening the links..

Ohhhhh I must know what your reply to cox is.

got it installed and working but for the future to make it easier maybe in the instructions add the pin numbers for specific models in the instructions along with a diagram.I had to search and find all this myself.thanks shawn for your help

I thought mine came with a switch to use the stock ecu or the box, I am running it as a stand alone without the tcu, I could snap a pic if he needed of the wires we tapped but sounds like he has got it. :thumb:

I thought mine came with a switch to use the stock ecu or the box, I am running it as a stand alone without the tcu, I could snap a pic if he needed of the wires we tapped but sounds like he has got it. :thumb:

Thanks man Yes I did wire in the switch Im still using tcu in normal driving conditions!it was pretty easy once I figured out the pin out numbers and that you can get power right at the tcu instead of the fuse panel A simple wiring diagram with pin numbers would have made it super easy now that I've done one I could do it again easy!

got it installed and working but for the future to make it easier maybe in the instructions add the pin numbers for specific models in the instructions along with a diagram.I had to search and find all this myself.thanks shawn for your help

The diagram that was provided for your 1991 not only includes which pin numbers, but the color of each wire also. It couldn't have been more spelled out for you. Look at the diagram! C-67, C-61 and C-62 are the transmission control unit connectors, with the pin numbers corresponding with the wires clearly labeled on the diagram. As for the color coding, it's right there in the diagram. What did you think YR, YB, Y, BW, RL, and BY stood for? Had you even looked at the links provided, you'd of seen the color coded installation guide of the aftermarket wires laid over the the factory diagrams.

I hope you worked for hours at this and wasted a ton of time.

The diagram that was provided for your 1991 not only includes which pin numbers, but the color of each wire also. It couldn't have been more spelled out for you. Look at the diagram! C-67, C-61 and C-62 are the transmission control unit connectors, with the pin numbers corresponding with the wires clearly labeled on the diagram. As for the color coding, it's right there in the diagram. What did you think YR, YB, Y, BW, RL, and BY stood for? Had you even looked at the links provided, you'd of seen the color coded installation guide of the aftermarket wires laid over the the factory diagrams.

I hope you worked for hours at this and wasted a ton of time.

It took me 20 minutes once I looked at the pinout locations and I soldered and shrink tubed all connections.The links you sent were helpful But The smartass comments you can keep to yourself read the posting rules If it bothers you to help then don't waste your time!

It took me 20 minutes once I looked at the pinout locations and I soldered and shrink tubed all connections.The links you sent were helpful But The smartass comments you can keep to yourself read the posting rules If it bothers you to help then don't waste your time!

Since you are going to drag this off topic Rule 4 and open the dialogue of what the rules are Rule 2, let's look at them more closely.

Before You Reply:
No "Use the Search" replies Check, didn't say to use the search.- answer the question, link to the answer, or don't reply. Check. Clearly answered the question. It's okay to suggest to the user how to find the answer next time so long as you answer the question or link to the answer at the same time. Check. Provided useful information for the next time you look at a diagram.

No insults, smart ass replies, or elitist attitudes. Check, no insults or smart assed replies, just very clear facts. Do not act like a moderator and remind others of our rules, or nitpick when a member makes a grammatical mistake or asks a repetitive question. Oh, there it is. Report the post and move on.

Don't try to help if you don't know the answer - bad advice is often worse than no advice (no "I think" or "I guess" or "I've heard"). If you see misinformation being posted, debate it respectfully.

No getting off-topic - if you're not replying to the thread starter's original post, take it to PMs/email or start a new thread.Hmmm, still responding to a topic OP seems to want to discuss

Use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation when posting in our Tech Forums - don't use texting/instant messaging lingo here. Check, no problems there. This isn't an English class, but we demand that you at least make an attempt or your posts will be deleted. Internet Explorer users should download IEspell or just use Firefox since it has spell check built-in. Check

Only continue if you agree to our Terms of Service

If you don't want to feel ridiculed, don't ask and re-ask a question when not doing any actual research into the information provided.

Now since you, the OP, provided a good example of how to violate more rules than I have, here's a clear example of how I elect to violate Rule 2.

ROFL

Since you are going to drag this off topic Rule 4 and open the dialogue of what the rules are Rule 2, let's look at them more closely.

If you don't want to feel ridiculed, don't ask and re-ask a question when not doing any actual research into the information provided.

Now since you, the OP, provided a good example of how to violate more rules than I have, here's a clear example of how I elect to violate Rule 2.

ROFL

#### off punk people like you is what ruins it for others It was a simple question it is resolved

Could you post where you found the pinout diagram and such?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back