The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Wideband in front O2 location

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMopar

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Vista, California
So I've been reading about some cases where people are having shortened sensor life in the front o2 location. Is this true or is it possibly unrelated. I have a new innovate MTX I want to install in my 2g with DSMlink. I'd like to place it in the stock O2 location, pipe the 5 volt back into the stock sensor input and run narrowband simulate in DSMlink. But if the sensor is going to die every few months that's not going to work as it's my daily driver.

I would simply weld in a new bung and run both sensors but it appears there's almost no extra inputs on a 2g ecu to pipe in the 5 volt signal. I can't use the MDP as I actually smog my car and don't want my readiness flags to be forever unchecked. Anybody have any experience with this? Anyone gotten their wideband to live in the stock front o2 location? Are people killing their sensors cuz they don't know they can't run their car with the sensor in the exhaust and the gauge not running and attributing it to the front o2 location?

More have no issues with those that do. You might want to look at heatsinking it with copper by sandwiching a section of copper plate (about 1/8" inch I would think) between the sensor and O2 housing by drilling a hole large enough in it to pass the sensor through. Innovate also sells a specific heatsink for this application.

ECMTuning said:
Sensor location
We generally recommend installing the MTX-L's wideband sensor in the front O2 location directly off the turbo. That is, of course, if you plan to run without a narrowband sensor installed in that location. We have been running our sensor in that location for years without issue. We do not believe there are any “heat” concerns what so ever.

ran my wideband in front o2 position for a couple years with no problem.

K thanks for the replies I guess I will just use the front o2 location. Does anyone here know the resistor impedance needed to tricking the ECU into thinking a narrowband heater is plugged in still?

^ haha yeah, no need for such witch craft.

Been running daily in the front o2 location for two years now, no issues at all.

Well I'm not going to uncheck the o2 DTC check.... I smog my car legally and I need my readyness flags ready.....

They will still pass. You can make the car show whatever you want with link.and you will be using the narrowband simulator so you don't need the rear o2

You are mistaken, if you un-click the DTC checks all that will do is prevent it from throwing a code. A 2g is OBD2 and as such it has smog readyness flags. These readyness flags will not clear unless you allow the computer to check for DTCs on the systems associated with smog (o2 sensors, EGR etc). There is no way to manually set the readyness flags as 'the law' would come down on ECMlink.

Yes you are correct, but you still need to deal with the o2 heater check...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back