The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Why is it so hard to shift into reverse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazeinc

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2002
Naperville_IL
I have a '92 Talon TSi 5-speed. And all of the gears are easy to shift in to, but reverse is seriously really hard.

Please tell me the trans isn't ####ed and it just needs oil or something.

I forgot to mention the trans is fairly new. Actually the previous owner told me that a 2G trans was installed by the dealer since he replaced the original one so many times. Apparently, they were having trouble getting it to fit, but they managed to do it after a few weeks.
Ok, I talked to my mechanic buddy. He wasn't positive, but he said it sounds like the linkage is worn because I mentioned to him that 5th gear is also hard to shift in to.

Anybody with experience on this. He is a domestic guy and never has dealt with AWD so he couldn't be sure if that was the problem.

Originally posted by jrotten
did you just tighten the shifter linkage underneath the shifter boot? Ive done the CMC and clutch SC, the two nut VFAQ, still have crappy shifting. Also, can you adjust travel at the threaded rod out the back of the clutch master cylinder?

you could say that,it adjusts the point at wich the clutch grabs. if you are'nt careful you will need a new clutch within a week, 1/4 turn at a time, drive it for a while and see how it feels before you adjust further.

Originally posted by out there
i've found reverse is difficult to shift into no matter what kind of car it is... as long as it's a manual. my friend and i have a theory that it's because the synchros are not aligned, so shifting from 4 to r or from any other gear to r is easier (try it, it does work, no grinding). by shifting into one gear (at idle) then into r aligns the synchros... thus a smoother shift. does that sound correct super-tech-smart people?

reverse isnt hard to shift in to in a german cars bmw etc reverse is on the left next to 1st gear its more ez but sometimes you a mistake and hit reverse instead of 1st:|

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back