The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Hard to shift into first

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamneos

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2003
North_CarolinaUS
shifting into every gear is easy except for 1st. When I try to move the stick into 1st I have to shake it and push it forcefully. Sometimes I can even hear a slight grinding sound (I quickly back it out and try again...usually works second time). Like I said, moving the stick into 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th, and reverse is easy. Checked clutch fluid...its dirty, but full. Can you give me any help? Thanks!

ok there are 2 tricks try to shift into second first and then shift into first. the other is try to shift into reverse and then first... second to first is my thing.. all my friends ask me why i do it... cuz i get into 1st easier...

Yes both of those or you can try matching revs which is where you rev the engine till it slips into gear easily. I do this with the clutch in but some people do it with the clutch out. It may take a few trys but you will eventually get it.

yeah...I normally have to shift 2nd to get to 1st but this doesn't seem right to me...there should be something I can do to fix this...

Yeah, send your tranny out and get it rebuilt. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I've talked to a lot of people who build DSM trannies and that seems to be the only way. I have this problem on my car too and it happens sometimes when I'm trying to go into reverse as well. Just be patient with it and do the 2nd to 1st deal. When people ask you why you do that, tell them it's a racing feature that you installed so you don't break anything.

i have the same prob.... 2 clicks for first(just started happen'n, and geting harder) and for 2nd as well.... and for reverse sometimes i have to put it into another gear first to get it to work.

But i just baught the car and the guy before me had the Trany rebuilt. I still have my warenty on the trany for another 3 months , should i take it in? I just firgured it was kinda normal.... shows u what i know cause my friend's cars all do that as well

Originally posted by jbillakdsm
Yeah, send your tranny out and get it rebuilt. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I've talked to a lot of people who build DSM trannies and that seems to be the only way. I have this problem on my car too and it happens sometimes when I'm trying to go into reverse as well. Just be patient with it and do the 2nd to 1st deal. When people ask you why you do that, tell them it's a racing feature that you installed so you don't break anything.

it is a wierd feature from what i heard... not something they really tell us about ;) but its supposed to stop us from doing some mishifting or something but its kinda malfunctioned...

well shit...if just about everyone has this problem, I could care less. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something horribly wrong with my transmission. Thanks for the replies!

Originally posted by Defiant
Are you trying to _downshift_ to first, or just put it in from a stop?

indeed.

First thing before you send crap loads of money, I'd make sure the clutch is engaging completly. There is a vfaq on www.vfaq.com which explains on how to adjust your clutch. Very simple to do.

no, I am not down shifting...I simply have the clutch to the floor and am trying to get the stick into first. I'm not sure why it would be the clutch if this is the only gear i'm having problems with...? Thanks for all the help guys

Yeah downshifting to first = no no. They don't allow it and the consequence is a wierd grinding noise. Who would have know? LOL

yeah...I figured that would be a no no...I mean if you're in first doin 20, your rpms are going to be over 3k...I'm simply talking about when I'm at a stop light and I need to get it into first to go again...hhhhhmmmm guess I could launch from second....

Snub the shifter against second, that'll brake the gears in the transmission. Then as you're going into first, learn to wrist it in, and if it gives you any guff, give it a few light stutters going in.
And if you haven't, change transmission oil. My first recommendation is Pennzoil Synchromesh (same as GM, less $). Other folks love BG Synchroshift. Either will shock you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back