The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

which clutch would be best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinster

Probationary Member
Apr 26, 2012
Janesville, Wisconsin
I have a 95 eagle talon tsi awd with a six bolt engine with a t16 turbo. i am pushing about 300 hours power and am replacing the clutch. i have read a lot about clutches but still not sure which brand and if i should go with a smooth or puck clutch please post your opinion on which clutch i should go with.

ok If I was at 300-400 hsp and wanted to replace the clutch with the mind of not going over 400 hsp ( Im assuming this is the hsp range youll be staying at because you havent mentioned that your going for more )

Id go with a act 2600 pressure plate ( or another brand with similar clamping force )
from there id go with a full faced clutch disc from south bend, organic or kevlar that disc will take some heat and beatings,

if you plan on launching the car repeatidly then you ll have to go puck
if you want to take the car to the track once in a while and take some time between runs the full faced clutchs will work fine

The act kits are good but the springs pop out of the disc s so id stay away from the kits and piece together a kit of your own

I would stay with sprung clutch s, the non sprung discs are rough on the transmissions

the full face clutch discs are great for DD smooth engagement
Once you get into clutch pucks there very chattery

As for twin discs clutch kits, your under the hsp range for that, once you get up to 500 600 hsp then thats a great kit to look at by exedy

thats my 2 cents, this thread will take off and youll get 10 thousand opinions with their experience as well

good luck

+1 for the ACT 2600

Id also recommend the oem throw out bearing from Mitsubishi for which ever clutch you decide. Its a higher quality than most you would find in some clutch kits.

I have a 2600 act with a fidanza lightened flywheel shifts great. Probably would also suggest a oem throwout bearing heard alot of people going threw the aftermarket ones haven't had a problem with mine though. Also be gentle with the break in period too many bad story's of springs popping out.

Quick question, since this is already made, i think i can just add on, I plan on making it in the same 300-400 range. But once a week i take it to the raceway and drag so i'd be hard launching alot too, and probably once a month i'd take it to the tracks, and would be my every day DD. Would you still recommend puck?

Look into sbc clutches

+1 Their SS series is rated for up to 550 ft/lbs of torque. The SS-X is rated for 650 ft/lbs OMG. The SS is also cheaper than ACT 2600 and good for 100 more ft/lbs of torque. Puck and unsprung disks are noisy and wear out drive line parts much faster. 2600lb and up pressure plates also put more pressure on the TOB and thrust bearing as well as the ACT's being known for breaking fingers.

Go South Bend and never look back. Just be sure to use an OEM TOB instead of the one they supply.

I don't plan on racing mine so which would be most streetable? But can still handle the torque??

Ok iv Ben looking at the ACT kits and this may be a dumb ? But what is the difference between Solid disc and a 6 pad or 4 pad clutch as in us wise

I dont know if Road Race Engineering sell these anymore but I love my RRE no name clutch. In between the ACT 2100 and 2600 with very little pedal effort to engage clutch unlike the 2600.

I just bought a 95 talon tsi the car is completely stock but im planning on trying to get 300-350 whp but the clutch is slipping bad so i need to replace it the car is goin to be a dd so i need something that can take abuse but also be easy to drive any ideas on what type of clutch i should go with ?

I bought a xtd stage 3 off of evay amd just put in in yesterday but the clutch doesnt feel right at all ive tried bleeding the clutch and adjust the pedal and still doesnt feel right it's extremely light, lighter than the stock clutches ive had any ideas what it could be ?

Might want to check your clutch fork.

Have you driven the car yet? If it drives fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Xtd and other ebay clutches may be subject to lacking quality control. If the clutch fingers are weak it will fill extremely light. Do some more trouble shooting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back