The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Where to jack the car if the pinch welds are rusted and destroyed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Great White

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2011
Upton, Massachusetts
So I went to jack up the rear of my car to 1) change the rear pads and 2) install my new exhaust. However, in attempting to jack up the rear of my car on the pinch welds (the recommended points) I started hearing some crackling noises and then the pinch weld just completely caved in. Apparently it was rusted up underneath and just completely gave way. I was lucky I was even able to remove the jack safely without ripping off my side skirts. With that said, I can no longer use this point to try and jack up my car. The fronts aren't really in the most impressive shape as well.

So my questions are, where else can I jack up the rear and still get good clearance and support to do work like installing my exhaust? Pics would be greatly appreciated for me and anyone else who might have this question.

Also if I ever attempt to use a lift, does the lift arms rest on these points? Because I wouldn't trust putting another ounce of weight or stress on these points anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Assuming a good floor jack, in the rear there are two solid plates, about 2" x 2", a little bit inwards from the pinch-weld (which I, personally, never used). In the front, I usually used two similar places near the end of the compression arms.

For actual work on the car, I actually would lift the entire nose by putting the floor jack under the front motor mount on the fore-aft brace under the engine and then put jack-stands at those locations near the compressions arms. Then I'd lift the entire tail by putting the jack under the rear diff and put the other jack-stands under those 2"x2" plates. I'd always do the nose first because even with the nose up, I could get to the rear diff, but if I lifted the tail first my floor jack couldn't get under the front air dam.

Always use jack-stands for anything beyond a tire-change.

I always lift from subframe mounting points personally. Put a block of wood on your floor jack to keep from damaging any bolts or anything, but if your subframe can support the car under any other condition, it can support the jack. For the front I would lift it as said above by the front motor mount cross bar, or on each side near the firewall where the A frame bolts to the chassis. Its just behind each tire and has I believe 3 bolts in it. Wooden block and lift. Rear you can lift the same way just in front of the tires at the same point where the rear subframe bolts to the chassis, or lift the entire thing at once and lift it at the diff if your AWD. Your FWD im guessing by GS-T, so U should be able to lift it where the trailing arms come together in the middle of your rear end. You can basically lift it at any support that bolts to the chassis as its reinforced for torsional forces, just dont try and lift it on a rod/bar/anything that looks like you could break it. If you lay on the ground and look under the chassis, you will be able to figure out where to put a floor jack.

On the FWD you can lift the entire rear by placing a floor jack under the middle of the rear cross member (part the lower control arms bolt to). Just make sure you're not also under the anti-sway bar which is just rear of it. And then put jack stands with wood blocks under those 2 x 2 plates. I never trust the pinch welds on any car as they nearly always collapse.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back