The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

where to get valve seats for 2mm oversized valves ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You dont need to source them.......... if you're getting 2mm over valves take it to your local trustworthy machine shop and have them get them and install them for you......... i assume some machine shop would be doing the work and im sure it wont be the first time they've installed and cut new seats.

AMM

The price I got from the guys that have built 3 motors for me thus far (they do excellent work) was $23 a seat.. (that's $370 just for the seats). I'm not trying to run 7's here, just want to see how far I can push the stock cast runners.. I could by a ported head from polk for what I'll be spending in parts alone

The price I got from the guys that have built 3 motors for me thus far (they do excellent work) was $23 a seat.. (that's $370 just for the seats). I'm not trying to run 7's here, just want to see how far I can push the stock cast runners.. I could by a ported head from polk for what I'll be spending in parts alone

what a rip off! the last time i did seats in a head (420a head) it was 8.00 a seat....... i would go around and ask some other machine shops what they would charge to get the seats for you.

AMM

They may have forgotten you have a DOHC vehicle. Most shops are used to V8 guys. I usually have to remind them in a gently way. ;)

Are you trying to do it yourself? ...bad idea...

Try another machine shop.

PTE scm6176r (gt35r basicly).. BC 280 cams, HKS cam gears, supertech high tension dual springs, ferrea locks, 2mm over valves, bronze valve guids, BLE solid lifters, etc. Bottum end is carillo a beam rods, ross 8.3:1 pistons, acl bearings, BSE, arps blah blah blah..

Don't tell anyone though.. my car is "all stock" ;) ;)

I've not found great success at locating a flow bench close to me. I do know that the 4g63 head flow very well from the foundry castings. I use the 1g - 6 bolt style, don't really care for the entry angle in the 2g heads. I want to see how far I can take the "cast" ports of the head before I do any porting. I know some others have had the heads flowing 270+ cfm (no intake attached) and I'm hoping to see comparable or better numbers with the larger valves.

I've not found great success at locating a flow bench close to me. I do know that the 4g63 head flow very well from the foundry castings. I use the 1g - 6 bolt style, don't really care for the entry angle in the 2g heads. I want to see how far I can take the "cast" ports of the head before I do any porting. I know some others have had the heads flowing 270+ cfm (no intake attached) and I'm hoping to see comparable or better numbers with the larger valves.

i talked to somebody and they told me that stock the 1g heads do around 240cfm on the intake side so upping that 270 cfm is a pretty good increase. i have yet to get a completley stock 1g head flow benched........... i was hoping to get it done this week. as soon as i do ill be sure to post em up so everybody can see the stock numbers (that i got anyways) and over 280 cfm is suppose to a really good flow numbers for that head.

mike

def. let me know what your results are. I'm going to continue searching and I'll post up some numbers if I can get my hands on them as well

so your saying.. (for an example, I'm not trying to offend you or put you down) at 9,200 rpm, (my redline) my cylinder head, (BC 280 cams, dual springs, etc. etc.) would flow the same amount of air into the combustion chamber with a stock sized valve as it would with a 2mm oversized valve ?

How is that possible ? I understand that bigger doesn't always mean better and that air velocity and other factors are involved here. I just can't see how a valve that is 2mm larger, can not out flow a stock sized valve. I assume your basing your opinion on the fact that the runner is only so large and can only handle a certain amount of volume. Still I can't logically conceive that 2mm larger would not flow even 10 cfm more. (btw on ffwd's website he say's that the 2mm over valves flow 10 to 15 cfm more then the 1mm over valves and the 1mm valves surely must out flow a stock valve.) Are you saying that the runners themselves don't move enough air to utilize the larger valve? I'm confused. Maybe it's because I'm tired and not understanding what I'm reading..

Please elaborate or give me better detail as to why you say a 2mm over valve wouldn't flow more air then a stock sized valve, even with a stock cast runner volume. Thanks in advance

------- SI 2mm over "Big Big" SS Valves, Will increase flow on both intake and exhaust around 10-15 cfm over the 1mm overs! What's the cost of gaining such flow so easily? Seats in your head must be changed out to the super-sized version to accommodate the larger valve diameter. Fly-cutting of pistons may be necessary if running a really nasty cam profile and/or a lightly pocketed piston. 2 overs are used in some our rare and limited "secret" sik heads. $200.00 set of sixteen (int/exh)-------

^^^ taken directly from ffwd's website^^^

It's too late for me to give a full explanation, but do some research on unshrouding valve's, shrouding the bowl, what affects port velocity, etc. I don't really get into this type of stuff too much anymore, but I used to have pages and pages of article's, dyno's, and flow bench data, not all of them are for the 4g63 though. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

I can't find anything I used to have on this issue either. But I know the +1mm have not been "proven" yet. I am not knocking them, as I have them in my head now. But I personal do not see the need for the +2mm for any reason.

+1mm have done 1017AWHP and IIRC Fox Lake, uses +1mm for there full build, that is what Shep is running.
Matt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back