1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Where to get rear bumper exhaust shields?

Posted by Blk95gs, Jun 21, 2006

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Blk95gs

Blk95gs Proven Member

Joined Apr 18, 2002
    Havre De Grace, Maryland
    I've seen them on Evo's, STi's, etc etc, but does ANYONE sell these shields for our DSMs? Mine, in particular, would be for a 95-96 Eclipse rear bumper.

I just got the car repainted, and my exhaust is burning the paint pretty badly, and starting to warp the bumper. Anyone know where to pick one up, if at all?

Here's a pic of one on an Evo.

[​IMG]

2. VelocitàPaola

VelocitàPaola Moderator

Joined Jun 14, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Does that shield really do anything? It looks like it's more for show than anything. If I were you, I would build one myself out of sheet metal. Instead of trying to make something that flush mounts against the bumper like that, a simple semi-cylindrical shield around the muffler canister should do the trick. Space it about 1/2"-1" away from the muffler and secure it with 6" hose clamps or something.

You could also take your car to a muffler shop and have them extend the hanger. My muffler is maybe 3"-6" away from the bumper and there is no warping or paint lifting; and I've gotten some pretty high EGTs...

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I haven't seen anything like that for DSMs.

2K  21

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. Blk95gs

Blk95gs Proven Member

Joined Apr 18, 2002
    Havre De Grace, Maryland
    I should have specified...

Sheet metal is what I am in fact looking for, but that was just so people didn't confuse it for something else

There's no cat/muffler on my exhaust, it's basically just one long & straight pipe. It's where the exhaust actually comes out of the tip that it is causing this. It is angled up very dramatically to compensate for how straight it is on the rest of the car I guess, and riveting a shield on the bumper is all I can think of :(

4. IslanderTsi

IslanderTsi Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2006
    charlottetown,
    Have one made. Thats about all you will be able to do. You can get heat protectant aluminium wrap as well that has a sticky side. That would work perfectly for what you want.

5. Blk95gs

Blk95gs Proven Member

Joined Apr 18, 2002
    Havre De Grace, Maryland
    Definately will have to look into that wrap. Thanks.