The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Whats my limiting factor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nek

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hello guys. Im at the point where I bought almost all the basic bolt ons and Im wondering what will limit my psi next.
From intake to exhaust
Custom 3in CAI with ebay filter
16g Ported exhaust
Hallman Boost controller
Vr Speed short route intercooler
1g Bov Slight crush/ gerage door
Blow Through 3" Maf
Ported Throttlebody
Stock Intake Mani
Arp Headstuds on a Felpro HG
Gates Timing belt
Ported 2g Exhaust manifold
Ported 2g 02 Housing
3in Striaght exhaust

1000CC Rc Injectors (Gas or E85, I have access to both)
255 Walbro pump
Fuel Lab AFPR

Ecmlink v3
Mxt-l Wideband
Prosport Boost / Oil Pressure / Transmission temperature

This setup shouldnt have to much trouble taking me up to 21-24 Psi but whats going to be my limiting factor after that?
This is for my 2g automatic awd.

You could max out the 16g on that setup, though some cams and springs would help. A SMIM would only show any noticeable gains up top. Maybe a ported RVR/E3 manifold.

Unless you really just want to get every little bit out of that 16g, I would look for another turbo. There's plenty of other parts you could buy right now, but for the money you'll get more gain out of going with a bigger turbo. Then when you're making bigger power, you'll see more of a benefit from things like a SMIM. If you keep the 16g, then I would just go with some cams like others have said.

as far as a new turbo goes, hx35 maybe? bep house, cheap, ect. i think its more a matter of how much power your looking to make rather than how much boost you want to run. 28-30psi will make more/less on different set ups. so 28-30psi on your set up wouldn't be useful, i'd imagine that 16g will fall off before then. however you go for a bigger turbo, then your limiting factor will be your engine mods ect. does that make sense? im bad at explaining things LOL. BUT, maybe to better answer your question, i'd recommend cams/springs. as everyone else has haha. good luck man!

If he gets a holset then he will have to get a whole bottom end which isn't cheap. If he wants to keep his mods then maybe he should look into a 50 trim since its almost the biggest turbo for a daily driver on stock bottom end. I agree with the cams but maybe a 272 272 combo. If he wants to go bigger than maybe a race intake mani instead of street.

If it where me.

Next would be e85 and the fuel system to support it. Then you could truely max out what you have.

Then I'd look at cams.

Then a bigger turbo. If you want to keep the bottom end stock then a 50 trim or the like would be as far as I'd go.

A 68hta would be nice. That would make a really fun street car. IMO

Honestly your best bet is going e85 with what you have now. It would be cheaper (which isnt a big deal for some people) but you would be able to have a fair gain in power. Springs/retainers and a nice set of cams would do you great with e85 also.

Hmm seems like everyone is mostly on the same page.
I figured that both cams and turbos would be brought up but what about my headgasket? I am suprised no one brought it up since its not mls. I've heard of people running 25psi but I dont think to many people would push past that.

And I know that 1200cc+ injectors are prefered for e85 but I can run decent psi on E85 with these 1000cc injectors as well, correct?

If he gets a holset then he will have to get a whole bottom end which isn't cheap. If he wants to keep his mods then maybe he should look into a 50 trim since its almost the biggest turbo for a daily driver on stock bottom end. I agree with the cams but maybe a 272 272 combo. If he wants to go bigger than maybe a race intake mani instead of street.

Are you serious? and hx35 is not big. There is NO reason he would "need" a built bottom end for that. There's a 1g around my area on a stock bottom end, and stock head(272 cams only exception) running a t4 gt3582r and it's been ripping for 2 years! and the 264-272 combo would be more fitting.

This setup shouldnt have to much trouble taking me up to 21-24 Psi but whats going to be my limiting factor after that?
This is for my 2g automatic awd.
To answer your question, motor health and detonation will be the limiting factor to the amount of boost you can run. The bolt-on's you've got will max that 16g on E85, now its up to the tuner how much boost/timing advance you can get away with. 950cc injectors were supporting my HTA68 (flowing 48lbs/min) on E85, granted they were at 96% IDC and I had to increase my base fp to 47psi, they worked and worked well. I don't recommend running IDC's past 85%, you'll be safe on those 1000cc injectors and that turbo choice.

Stock cams won't limit the amount of BOOST you can run but upgrading them will increase engine VE; which also goes for the IM. I say fill her up with E85 and call the nearest tuner that you trust, then head to the dyno.
It was my opinion not a fact. But it comes down to would you rather be safe or blow a motor.
...and everyone has one. Running a Holset on a stock bottom end has nothing to do with being safe or sorry, its all about the tune on the car.

:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your question, motor health and detonation will be the limiting factor to the amount of boost you can run. The bolt-on's you've got will max that 16g on E85, now its up to the tuner how much boost/timing advance you can get away with. 950cc injectors were supporting my HTA68 (flowing 48lbs/min) on E85, granted they were at 96% IDC and I had to increase my base fp to 47psi, they worked and worked well. I don't recommend running IDC's past 85%, you'll be safe on those 1000cc injectors and that turbo choice.

Stock cams won't limit the amount of BOOST you can run but upgrading them will increase engine VE; which also goes for the IM. I say fill her up with E85 and call the nearest tuner that you trust, then head to the dyno.

...and everyone has one. Running a Holset on a stock bottom end has nothing to do with being safe or sorry, its all about the tune on the car.

:dsm:

Post to end all posts on this thread. ^

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back