The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

What sensor is this and what affect will this have on my car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
While doing my boost leak test today I noticed a wire broke off from this sensor.It's on the thermostat housing just below the rad cap.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What exactly does this sensor do and will this have any effect on my car? I'm not sure how long it's been like this or even if I did it while leak testing but I have to leave for work in like 15 minutes and need to know asap. Thanks in advance.

pretty sure that is your coolant temp sensor, and it will effect when your fans kick on ..
might want to fix that.

I had the same problem on my talon....it is a coolant temp sensor, but all it is for is your ac fan. Solder it if you can, or take the connector apart and recrimp or solder

So since I don't have an A/C fan or A/C in place it shouldn't effect anything? I'm going to fix it I just don't have the time right this second.

tom04841 said:
if you dont use your ac, don't bother. focus your time on something else
those fans are for more than just your ac,, sitting in traffic for long periods of time for example.. those fans help pull air thru your radiator when your engine gets to a certain temp...

Only one fan is used for cooling the radiator. The other is solely used for the AC. Of course, when that fan is operating, it's helping cool the radiator as well, but it doesn't come on to control coolant temps.

In other words, the fans operate independently of each other, unless rewired to do otherwise. There is a vfaq on how to wire the fan relays to make both come on at the same time, as well as being controlled by a switch. I've done it, and have had good results.

Ok thanks guys. I'm running a 14" slimline anyway but it is wired up like factory so I just wanted to be sure. It didn't seem to have any affects on my cooling system. My fan still comes on like normal and I don't have a CEL so I guess it's ok. I'm going to fix it anyway in case I ever throw the old fans back in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back