The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What n the dsm is the problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nAiFk1e

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2009
Mckinney, Texas
First off ill go over everything that is wrong with the car as of today.

cars over heating, rpms fluctuate rapidly usually in 5th gear and sometimes boggs down also. will bog down in low gears as well if ive been driving it all day. smokes whitish smoke out of exhaust and alot of smoke too... (i can basically taste the smoke while im driving and its terrible.) Loses oil and it used to lose oil at the oil filter but i THINK i have that problem fixed. the smoking started after i tightened 2 bolts at my down pipe. i was told this is probably my turbo but idk?

Also rpms have been fluctuating for a while and it doesnt always do it, it usually does it after ive been driving on it for a big and when it does do that it will either bog down or speed up.

I also just put a new aluminum radiator on it has a 3 inch exhaust downpipe back greddy blowoff (yes i know blowoff is stupid but i didnt know that 2 years ago when i bought it,) intake , intercooler (front mount), fpr, pulleys, and a non active SAFC and i think thats it or atleast all i can remember

When was the last time you replaced the plugs and wires? (bogging issue)

White some could mean something happened to your turbo seals. allowing coolant to get into the exhaust(I'm not an expert here, so others can confirm/deny this).

Have you tested for boost leaks? This could also be part of the bogging issue.

When was the last time you replaced the plugs and wires? (bogging issue)

White some could mean something happened to your turbo seals. allowing coolant to get into the exhaust(I'm not an expert here, so others can confirm/deny this).

Have you tested for boost leaks? This could also be part of the bogging issue.

i was kinda thinking this was playing a part in my bogging issue... just had motor rebuilt like 5 months ago so i dont think its head gasket and issue is really bad when im under boost... also the dipstick keeps shooting out but i think thats pretty common tho

Dipstick flying out is High oil pressure and no it's not normal just common in DSM's. If your bogging under boost there could be a lot at fault.

-maf
-spark plugs/wires
-turbo
-boost leak
-vacuum leak

I would do boost leak test, check your plugs and also do a oil pressure test to see what your reading is. Trust me dipstick isn't normal don't ignore it!

If it is my turbo how long can i drive it before i replace it... i dont get paid until next friday

Dipstick flying out is High oil pressure and no it's not normal just common in DSM's.QUOTE]

Dipstick popping out is from a pressurized crank case, not oil pressure.

My bad your right! Didn't realize it.

I'm not saying it is your turbo, it might be a lot of thing that's why were telling you to do a boost leak test to check it out. While your at it, take the intake off check for play on the turbo just in case.

If it is my turbo how long can i drive it before i replace it... i dont get paid until next friday

I guess until it leaves you on the side of the road. Pull the intake hose going into the TB off and see if it is full of oil, then you know it's the turbo.

White smoke usually indicates coolant, but the world flavors a wide variety of white :)
From previous experience, a blown headgasket can be identified by much white smoke, very high pressure in the coolant lines and grayish color and a foul smell of the coolant.
Coolant leaking from the turbine would not leave a color or smell in the coolant.

Exchaust escaping into the coolant lines might cause overheating.
In serious headgasket cases , starting the car cold, will leave the starter struggling the first crank, due to coolant leaking into the cylinder, water not being a very flexible material.

Hope this can help you identify if its a blown headgasket.

Burning oil leaves you with a bluish smoke rather than white.
Correct me if im wrong, but pressure in the crank case could be a resault of a bad pcv valve or piston rings?

White smoke usually indicates coolant, but the world flavors a wide variety of white :)
From previous experience, a blown headgasket can be identified by much white smoke, very high pressure in the coolant lines and grayish color and a foul smell of the coolant.
Coolant leaking from the turbine would not leave a color or smell in the coolant.

Exchaust escaping into the coolant lines might cause overheating.
In serious headgasket cases , starting the car cold, will leave the starter struggling the first crank, due to coolant leaking into the cylinder, water not being a very flexible material.

Hope this can help you identify if its a blown headgasket.

Burning oil leaves you with a bluish smoke rather than white.
Correct me if im wrong, but pressure in the crank case could be a resault of a bad pcv valve or piston rings?

heh tx for the input but id really like an answer to my new question

You are correct! Common issue is the pcv gets clogged or stuck and excess crank case pressure can result and sometimes blow by can happen or you blow out seals. Either or is usually the case. I would Check the pcv too just because it is a cheap and easy fix.

You are correct! Common issue is the pcv gets clogged or stuck and excess crank case pressure can result and sometimes blow by can happen or you blow out seals. Either or is usually the case. I would Check the pcv too just because it is a cheap and easy fix.

alerady changed the pcv valve and that is my last concern right now... that was just a symptom i named but not my main issue

i pulled the intake off and the fan in the turbo was able to move back alot and very easily at that. there was actually some oil that was left on the coupler from the intake to the turbo but im not sure what is enough oil to distinguish the problem. i dont have too much money so im probably going to pickup a 16g td05 and i saw some on ebay but i also heard they arent great.

TD05 BIG 16G Turbo Turbocharger Eclipse Talon EVO 1G 2G : eBay Motors (item 220501157120 end time Mar-25-10 20:33:11 PDT)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back