The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

what is the highest mileage dsm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandons95

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2006
deltona , Florida
What are the miles that you guys have on your dsm, and what should you replace after say 150,00 besides t-belt.

Mines at 152,000 on the body and 25k on the motor.

If you dont have any records of anything, do it all, ie. t-belt, b/s belt,water pump, power steering and those belts. Also change out all the fluids and what not.

If you take care of your car, it'll take care of you.

toecutter said:
Do it all, ie. t-belt, b/s belt,water pump, power steering and those belts. QUOTE]

Actually, that is all part of a tbelt job. Also forgot; idler pulley ($30) tensioner ($80), tensioner pulley ($35), bshaft pulley ($30), bshaft belt tensioner pulley ($30).

The parts alone on a thorough Tbelt job are about $300-$400 generally speaking.

Also consider removing the balance shafts instead of replacing balance shaft components.

Replace ECu capacitors if they have not already.

Plugs, wires, fluids (as stated above; oil, tranny fluid/gear oil, transfer case fluid, rear diff fluid, you could also flush the radiator).

Compression test (buy the tester yourself for $25). If it does well, then you don't need to work on the engine. If it fails, you can rebuild the engine if you'd like.

Check your brakes.

How's your clutch?

That should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

I recieved a 1990 Laser with about 214K on it around a month ago and I have spent my time going over every little thing. I've checked and replaced brake calipers, pads, relays, gaskets, belts, etc. I don't think that is very high mileage for a DSM at all but I do recommend doing a thorough check when you do buy it. Two owners ago someone installed brake pads in my car and did not get them in the brackets. Needless to say the rotors and pads were toast, and I believe it was at the hands of a frozen caliper. The timing belt had been recently replaced but the other belts had not. When the timing belt cover was installed the bolts were overtorqued and the cover broke allowing the cover to eat halfway through the PS belt. Needless to say I put on new gatorback belts. You never know what the car has been through. Assume the worst and check everything.

Mike

I have about 164,000 on mine. All I've done internal wise is took my head out, got it disassembled and cleaned, and put in new valve seals and aftermarket cams. I've done countless maintenance things, but it has been worth it.

A general rule of thumb is if you don't know when it has been done, do it. So if you bought the car with no maintenance records and you don't know when the timing belt was last done, it's a good idea to go ahead and do it.

My dsm has about 187,000 mile on it, but the re-built motor only has about 20,000. Inspect your car for leaks and any worn belts. Also, don't forget to check up on your suspension components.

I've pulled the motor, replaced every single gasket, removed the balance shafts, replaced every single timing component (including crank sprocket and pulley) replaced every hose, waterpump, belts, got rid of powersteering, egr valve, charcoal canister, rerouted every vaccum line to a minimum, replaced the clutch(including resurfacing the flywheel) new balljoints, tie rod ends, tires, brakes, flushed the brake lines, radiator. I replaced the motor mounts with prothane ones, painted the engine, engine bay, cleaned every thing up in engine bay, moved battery to hatch. That is about it for now, just working on getting it painted now.
EDIT: Also replaced the struts and 1 control arm that was cracked and bent.

i sold my 96GST with 136k miles on it..

and bought my 90GSX with 153k miles and im still in the process of changing things out right now. just got a new used turbo, 2g mani ported 2g 02housngin ported new 02sensor, new brakes, cross drilled/slotted rotors. new KYB GR-2 shocks, replaced some sensors to the TB. and a few other things.. anything that had a gasket on it. i replaced. next is the alt belt and maybe some new pullys are in need!

I just turned 201,000 on my 91 GS-T. The head was off once and gone through because the PO didn't change the T-belt(before I owned the car). It runs great but I think the Turbo is going to need some attention soon. Seals are leaking under boost.

I have 155k on my laser. The 14b finally died, so it was replaced with a 16g. I keep having coolant lines dying on me, getting old and brittle, then bursting. To be safe, I should probably go through and replace all the hoses, but I am a procrastinator. I'll probably just wait till it breaks and is more expensive! Compression is ~152 across the board, so I think the block is good for a while still.

NitrousBob said:
I think I got this one. My dd has 350k on it. and I drive it every day.

original motor and everything or what have you done maint. wise? or would it be easier to say what you havnt done yet

My 2G has around 230K (should've been around closer to 300K if it wasn't for gas and tire prices) and daily driven. All on original motor but with lotsa add-ons. Even with a boost leak and a lower compression on one cylinder, it still drives great.

We had 277k on the talon when the water pump fell apart, tbelt tensioner failed, and the balance shaft was about 5 threads from breaking.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back