The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

What is the life of a DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AznDragon

Probationary Member
May 23, 2004
San Jose, California
on average, what do you think the lifespan is for a moderately driven DSM? I'm looking into getting a 2g, but i'm not sure about all the high mileage i'm seeing (i found a 95 w/134k!)
i should also mention that i am a newbie coming from honda/acuras and i'm tryin my hardest to learn as much as possible about DSMs. I'm tryin to hopefully pick up a '97-99 GSX.

this is true with DSMs and any other used car you will buy; the life of the car depends on how it was taken care of. and it's up to you to determine that.

many DSMers have gotten well past 134k on there cars because they take care of it. some dont make it past 10k with a rebuilt motor because they dont treat it right and dont maintain it... etc etc

when buying a car do all the usual checks , compression , etc.. and drive it.

Yea just check compression before you buy. Also newer doesnt always mean better - there are 1990 DSMs that run better then some 97-99 DSMs on this board, it all matters how well the car is driven, maintained, etc. 134K is high for a 95 (for any car - they say 12K a year is average, so that would put you around 100K). And don't let all the problems you read about on the board keep you from buying a DSM, sure they have their issues but they are all around great cars. Even Honda boards have Problem Diagnosis forums that are packed ;)! Good luck!

thanks for the advice. I checked out that gsx today and i've decided against it. the tranny was too notchy for me and the 5th gear was starting slip. i guess it's back to the classifieds for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back