The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

what engine route should I go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXftw

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Medford, Oregon
So heres my situation. Car is a 1g with a stock longblock. Its time for a rebuild, the engine is still good and usable just tired. Ive been researching my butt off and reading stats, and I do know I wanna go with a 2g head on a 6 bolt block. Now I need to pick my bottom end. So first, what I have collected-
On top of my 6 bolt running in my car now, I have a 4g63 block and some bottom end parts from a 2.3 stroker that siezed up badly out of a 2g. Rods and crank are junk, but I have a good set of forged stroker pistons, and a block thats freshened up and O ringed and clearanced for a 2.3. I dont wanna build a 2.3, I want RPMs, I like the appeal of a 2.1, and there is this 4g64 local to me
4G64 Mitsubishi Engine
But I dont know if this is the year and car Im wanting, it says 7 bolt, and also dont think Id have the budget to do it all since id need pretty much everything.
Im seriously considering a long rod 2.0, Since really all Id technically need is rods, and would have leftover money for upgrades. Im not going for crazy power per say, I make probably 375 now, and wanna make 500ish, daily driver with drag racing on the weekends. So basically what would you do if you were me?

Last edited:
6 bolt bottom end forged pistons and rods possibly stroked out to 2.1 or 2.2, 7 bolt head ported polished 272's or 280's
That's what ivwould do anyway

I know what a 2.1 consists of, your wording just didn't really apply... stroking it out to a 2.1 usually paints the picture of a bigger crank and increasing stroke, which the 2.1 does not. But can any of the questions in my first post be answered? Is that 4g64 worth picking up or able to accommodate a 6 bolt crank?

Like Delta said, the '00 and up 4g64 will not bolt up to a DSM trans. It is also difficult to install a 2g 7-bolt/4g64 block into a 1g since there is no roll stops on the block like the 1g engines. You could use only the crank, but you would need a 1g 7-bolt block. Otherwise you need a 6-bolt compatible crank like the G4CS crank.

If you do happen to find a 2.4, I would go with it. I have had a 2.3 and a 2.4 and the 2.4 just does better. Mine idles very smooth without BS and is great to drive on the street.

If you do happen to find a 2.4, I would go with it. I have had a 2.3 and a 2.4 and the 2.4 just does better. Mine idles very smooth without BS and is great to drive on the street.

And our 2.3's don't?, this is the misinformation that is overrunning this site. The displacement has zero to do with idling w/o balance shafts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back