The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What chall think of my porting job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITSME4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2004
chicago, Illinois
Did this on my friends 6cm exhaust housing which came with his 16g, the pictures dont do justice to what it actually looks like.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:talon:

Damn......nice cracks, Is he planning on running that?? the port job looks pretty good

DSMpwr25 said:
Damn......nice cracks, Is he planning on running that?? the port job looks pretty good

his dumbass wanted it ported, I told him I see what I can do, it has never leaked before with these cracks but if it does, its hit dumbass fault. First time I evar ported a turbo turbine housing.

kottyking said:
How long did that take ya?

A lil bit over an hour a 3 big ass drillbits, also the turbine hole is ported as well.

ITSME4G63 said:
A lil bit over an hour a 3 big ass drillbits, also the turbine hole is ported as well.

No wonder it took you so long! You used drill bits! ROFL

Decent DIY job, just clean it up some and smoothen it out. :thumb:

LOL good job with the drillbits, i would have gotten fed up, you should have went to homedepot or a hardware store and gotten a dremel kit with a carbide cutting bit,

I thought they were some sort of porting bits, I found them here at work and put em to use, like pinkish colored. Hooked up to a high speed handle which is fed by air, our air compressor is industrial sized, ingersoll rand brand, pressure stayed the same nonstopo ;)

pics of turbine housing ported

well now you got the correct bits to grind, you dont need a high speed anything for porting.., its actually better at a nice slower pased speed, trying to grind at high speeds sometimes doesnt do the trick unless your finished with the porting and your trying to get a smooth finish, thats why i said use a dremel since it has different speeds, they always work the best.

Spoolio said:
well now you got the correct bits to grind, you dont need a high speed anything for porting.., its actually better at a nice slower pased speed, trying to grind at high speeds sometimes doesnt do the trick unless your finished with the porting and your trying to get a smooth finish, thats why i said use a dremel since it has different speeds, they always work the best.
You just have to have the touch with a die grinder. I prefer super high speeds when I start to try and get the material gone and then i slow way down to shape everything and make it smooth. I have had pretty good success doing it that way. I liked doing my port job at my old job. The had a huge compressor and I went to town.

Your port job is pretty good for the tools you had. I can deffinately see that you had drill bits to work with. And I can see where you slipped by the wastegate flapper ROFL all in all not to bad.

Nice work, especially for your first time. Your next task is to find me a 2g AWD 5spd w/t-case, now that would be some really nice work.

i dont think you're supposed to port that, unless youre putting a bigger turbine wheel in, then it should be precisely machined to a specific clearance.

EclipZ said:
i dont think you're supposed to port that, unless youre putting a bigger turbine wheel in, then it should be precisely machined to a specific clearance.

we could throw it on the cnc, but what the hell, I believe precisie machinning is for the compressor side, when you wanted to fit a larger compressor wheel, liek a td05 or td06 20g compressor wheel in your 14b or 16g. I dobt opening the turbine wheel hole will cause any negativity but id liek people whom know it will chime in here.

Porting looks pretty bad...sorry man...

Where you have ported inside the housing where the turbine wheel goes you shouldn't have done that bit, it is suppose to be a specific clearence to the wheel .030 to .045 it will make the turbine wheel lag big time the exhaust gas will just bypass the turbine if you have opened the clearence to much.

blue1 said:
Where you have ported inside the housing where the turbine wheel goes you shouldn't have done that bit, it is suppose to be a specific clearence to the wheel .030 to .045 it will make the turbine wheel lag big time the exhaust gas will just bypass the turbine if you have opened the clearence to much.

I agree with this...I am only porting the manifold and the exhaust housing but the part where the exhaust goes in, not the wheel part.

Porting looks good.

You are not supposed to port the part where the wheel sits because of reasons stated above. Exhaust gas will just go by the wheel and cause the turbo to spool slower. This is why we have wastegates, because they keep a certain pressure in the exhaust which keeps the turbo spinning fast. One part you could port on your next job is the wastegate hole (under the flapper). If you wanted, you could port it alot and get a 34mm flapper to control boost creep better (if you get boost creep...).

Also, is that matched to a 7cm gasket or is just the ridge removed?

well, heres what it looks like assembled, ohh and I took a high speed wire brush attachement to all the ported parts so its been kinds smoothed out.

Seems as if the exhaust gases are going to be hitting the turbine wheel straight up

oh and look how I cleaned this moda####a up, this bi*** shines very well, bling bling

Also put them plastic cap up in the compressor housing so no crud gets in,

i think you have defeated the purpose of porting by touching the clearances. I think you screwed up the spool time.

Even though it's all Blingidy bling bling, that doesn't mean dick when it comes to porting. You might want to go find another turbine housing.

Boosted98gsx said:
i think you have defeated the purpose of porting by touching the clearances. I think you screwed up the spool time.

Even though it's all Blingidy bling bling, that doesn't mean dick when it comes to porting. You might want to go find another turbine housing.

didnt you make a profound statement :rolleyes:

Well, at least the ####er will have top end, my friends car that is.

E Racer X said:
Nice work, especially for your first time. Your next task is to find me a 2g AWD 5spd w/t-case, now that would be some really nice work.

I see what I can do donkey!

herostar said:
Also, is that matched to a 7cm gasket or is just the ridge removed?

I think I ported this sucker past the ridge removal , but not as far as the 7cm, lemme throw a 7cm on it this weekend to match up and ill tell ya.

Well Im with everyone else in thinking that changing the turbine wheel to housing clearances will kill your spool time but I guess the only way to tell is to try it out. Let us know how it turns out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back