The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

what are your IAT's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
JUst wondering from you guys using an IAT sensor located at the TB elbo what kind of IAT's you're seeing after a hard 3rd gear pull?

I have a really good (supposedly) griffen top to bottom core with spearco endtanks, and in the past my IAT's were toped out at 140* but tonight i was ending up with IAT's as high as 170* F WOW!!! I mean that's pretty damn high, but it is at the TB elbow which heat soaks a bit, but jesus I've never had them that high

thing is i'm running my turbo well below it's efficiency range at 30psi (for these pulls) and did several pulls in a row) so i'm sure i was heat soaked to a degree but i'm trying to figure if it's more about hjeat soak, non efficient area of boost from the turbo or a curse? LOL

On my third run of the night (stil pretty much back to back i was only seeing 120* F) but still i have seen WRX's i've worked on coming out a fwe degrees cooler than cruising temps after a 3rd gear pull

I saw an increase of 15 degrees above ambient after a 0-130 mph run at 35 psi on a 63mm BorgWarner. I'm using a 5" Garrett core. For single gear pulls IATs do not move after 2nd gear pulls, and they go up about 5-7 degrees on a 3rd gear pull.

I also used to see 170,180 degree temps, this was mid summer heat 80,90ish degree days. Then i routed the intake filter into the fender area "cold air intake" style. I have yet to see my iat's get over 130.MASSIVE difference. My iat sensor is also in the throttle body elbow, although if i read right this is a higher temp spike compared to what you usually have?

Yea, usually my HIGHEST peak numbers are around 138 - 140 (although when my filter was in the bumper they were much lower then too, but that was all back on the 57 trim)

these days on the pt6776 i still max out peak numbers at 140 but my filter was originally behind the radiator and now is up near the stock location

Tonight when i saw the 170's it was after about 15-20 minutes of repeated 1-2-3 pulls to redline pretty much (loving the new 3" donw pipe and new found power and drivability :D )

My first 3rd gear pul resulted in 120* F after a 2-3 pull (ambient temps were roughly 70*) I need to add a IAT sensor pre- FMIC and see what that does, I also think i might put the meth injection (corrently not uised) post turbo and pre-FMIC and see what that does for heat soaking and IAT's in general

although i loved it setup pre-turbo i just am not taking any chances with this expensive as turbo as i hope to sell it for a holset

With my stock smic, 14b at 20psi, I would see IATs at the TB reach 200+ *F. Now with my fmic, 14b at 22psi, I saw 120*F at the end of the 1/4 mile with 80* temp sitting at the light.

Anyone know of a CHEAP way to measure pre and post FMIC temps? I got the poist down solid (move my IAT)but being that the IAT is based off resistance i can't figure out a way to log it form the haltech unless i do away with ECT

I've got pleny of loggable 0-5 and 0-12v inputs but the only resistance based ones are used for daily operation. Anyone know of an air temp sensor from some other cart that uses a 3 wiore setup to return a voltange that relates to a gven temp

If you have 0-5V inputs, you can make a voltage divider.

Voltage divider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then all it takes is an equation in your ecu to convert it over to the resistance, then to temperature.

I've seen up around 140°F when I'm pushing the car hard. There's this nice hill climb nearby that lets me romp on the car without accelerating too fast. So I do pulls up it. It's usually a good 2-3 min of pushing the car pretty hard on and off.

I'll be tuning my car some more over the course of the next 2 weeks in preparation for drag races 2 Fridays from now. I"ll try to post up some temps if I remember. I'm only running a small 16g at around 20-25psi, but I'm on a generic "universal" eBay core.

My last 1/4 mile pass recorded a max of 90 degrees. That is top of 4th gear. It was about 75 at the beginning of the run.

Meth FTW. My intake temps drop when meth cuts on and then slightly climp a couple degrees above ambient temp. This was on a holset at 22psi with a small ebay FMIC. Rarely see IATs above 110*, did run out of meth once and temps shot up to 130* so meth was deffinately keeping things much cooler. Temps taken right before the TB.

I'm going to revive this thread to just saw what my intake temps were driving to my friend's for storage.

I averaged 6*F the whole 40 km trip, with the lowest being 3*F. LOL

I'm not trying to hijack here, but this seems like a good place ask as you all have a proper way to see your IATs.

Does having the black metal air can that came stock affect IATs and airflow at all? I understand some people keep the can on, but remove the plastic snorkel.
I've heard both sides: keeping it on protects the intake from heat, but has potential to lower airflow, and taking it off increases airflow but raises IATs.

I'm not trying to hijack here, but this seems like a good place ask as you all have a proper way to see your IATs.

Does having the black metal air can that came stock affect IATs and airflow at all? I understand some people keep the can on, but remove the plastic snorkel.
I've heard both sides: keeping it on protects the intake from heat, but has potential to lower airflow, and taking it off increases airflow but raises IATs.

That's a toughy... The problem here is that the car would more than likely be set up to run with a MAS unless the MAS was removed just for testing purposes (if the MAS was removed the car would have to be set up to run SD). If the MAS was still connected you would have to have the EGR deleted to free up a pin on the ECU to log the IAT, otherwise it wouldn't jive with the signal coming from the MAS, which is also trying to output an air temperature reading.. Most people remove the snorkel as it is a restriction, and the small benefit it gives you is negated by the restriction in airflow.

Only thing I can think of is to try it with and without and see what variances there are in what the MAF is reading.

Alot of people arent saying where there ait is located or if there aits are from the stock mas....

Makes it very hard to compared numbers with out that info....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back