The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Weird Sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97ScreaminEagle

Probationary Member
Dec 20, 2010
Ramsey, Indiana
I have a 5 speed 97 non turbo talon. Here's the problem, when I start my car and let off the clutch,(still in neutral), it sounds like something is spinning in the transmission. Then when I push in the clutch the noise stops. Then let off again and it starts making the spinning noise again. It sounds like metal rubbing metal. I have no clue what it may be, can anyone help?

Sounds like the input shaft bearings are bad in the transmission.:( Usually if the noise is present when you depress the clutch pedal it's the throw out bearing, because it's spinning/loaded and the clutch disc and input shaft aren't. If the noise is present when the clutch is out like you are describing, it's usually the input shaft bearings, because the clutch disc and input shaft are spinning while the throw out bearing is not spinning/unloaded.

You might want to make sure you have the transmission full too.

Well i just checked the fluid and i didnt feel any fluid so it is low. i have heard that synchromesh is good but dont know what was previously in there... is there a drain valve on the bottom of the tranny and what do u think about the fluid, what type do you all prefer?

It could be something stupid like an exhaust heat shield too. If I have my truck in gear they rattle, and if i have it in Neutral, It doesnt. And they can sound like the tranny is making noise. I thought it was the trans untill I looked into it and found it was those. Just a thought.

i would lean towards the throw our bearing, has the been a clutch replaced in the car in the past? Maybe a cheaper/after market tob was used

_JOhn

Last edited:
I have the same noise with my car. When the clutch isn't pressed in you can hear the noise, but when you press it in it goes away. I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing in the summer and used an oem throw out bearing and greased it.

Well i just checked the fluid and i didnt feel any fluid so it is low. i have heard that synchromesh is good but dont know what was previously in there... is there a drain valve on the bottom of the tranny and what do u think about the fluid, what type do you all prefer?

Yes, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the transaxle. Drain it and put in some new fluid.

could just be low on trans fluid...i had the same problem especially on cold morning start ups and it turned out my fluid was low...replaced fluid and all is good

Ok, I went to autozone and picked up a bottle of Pennzoil Synchromesh. But I am having trouble finding the Fill plug. I only have a small jack so it is difficult getting under the car. Can someone please help me find it? And is 1 quart enough?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back