1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Water pipe o ring (thermostat)

Posted by Cesarlcase, Apr 7, 2017

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Cesarlcase

Cesarlcase Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2009
    lynbrook, New York
    Good morning guys, just a quick question. I've dented my water pipe and now have the infamous leak where the pipe meets the thermostat housing. I've never taken this piece off, but how long would you guys think this job takes to do and does the manifold have to come down as well? Thanks for the time.

2. adrian2627

adrian2627 Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    I had to do this to my water pipe as well to make my turbo fit. My pipe started to leak by the thermostat so I took the t housing apart and found that my water pipe o ring was on its way out and not sealing properly anymore. That hammer action was just enough to dislodge the o ring a bit to cause a leak. Take me about 3 mins to unbolt the housing but don't forget there is no gasket there just rtv when you put it back.

908  4

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Cesarlcase likes this.
  3. Cesarlcase

Cesarlcase Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2009
    lynbrook, New York
    Ahh okay, good to hear. Yeah, I'll go and get some rtv tomorrow and get this darn thing repaired. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. adrian2627

adrian2627 Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Best thing is to get another o ring. I tried the RTV route and ended up being more of a headache rather than a permanent fix. If you cant get it from the auto parts store, try the hardware thats where i got mine. goodluck

908  4

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. John Mark Dongon

John Mark Dongon Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2019
    Stockton, California
    I got a new oring for my thermostats housing and I'm having trouble to have the thermostat lign up. Do I have to hammer it cause seems like it dont wanna fit with the oring

Street Build 247  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  6. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    O-ring diameter could be too big.

900  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  3