The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

warped clutch symptoms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj8990

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 20, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
I have a new act 2100 clutch kit installed.. i think i may have warped the clutch disc. It drives fine, disengages fine, grabs fine, no chatter that i can hear (i currently have no exhaust on). If I ease onto the clutch and right about where it starts to grab i stop letting the clutch pedal up I can feel the car vibrate, but it doesn't seem normal. I can feel the vibration in the clutch pedal as well. Ive never driven an aftermarket clutch before so I'm not sure if this is normal. Any other symptoms I can check for? or a definitive way to check for a warped clutch disc save pulling the trans (no garage and I'm in the middle of a Chicago winter)? Or am I just being paranoid?

thanks,
Corey

Does it drag?

Did you align it properly?

Did you resurface your flywheel to the proper step height?

Did you use a new TOB?

I would say if you have no issues it's okay, how are your motormounts?

Hard to tell online, my car vibrated my wiper lever down alot from the mounts and all that fun stuff.

Does it drag?

Did you align it properly?

Did you resurface your flywheel to the proper step height?

Did you use a new TOB?

I would say if you have no issues it's okay, how are your motormounts?

Hard to tell online, my car vibrated my wiper lever down alot from the mounts and all that fun stuff.

I do not have any drag, I aligned it with the act alignment tool that came with the clutch, flywheel was resurfaced and stepped to .610", and new oem TOB from Mitsubishi. It isn't something that happens during normal driving, I only noticed it when backing into my driveway slowly. Motor mounts could use replacing. I didn't notice this problem with my old factory clutch.. could the act 2100 cause this symptom of my bad motor mounts to become more pronounced? Are the symptoms of a warped clutch disc usually more extreme?
This is my first clutch job and I'm obsessing over everything I could have done wrong and my biggest fear is that I let the transmission rest on the input shaft while putting it in. I don't think i did, but I'm not positive. Would this be a good test to see if its my motor mounts.. pop the hood, pull the parking brake and imitate the problem while a friend looks to see if the motor is moving?

thanks for the help by the way

This is a new not used clutch right? Honestly it sounds like you did everything right. The clutch can make motormount issues more pronounced as it has to do in the rigidity of the hub. I know my car kinda slowly bounces forward when i release the clutch and hold it at the point where it grabs. Honestly, i wouldnt worry about it. It sounds like everything is okay. Aftermarket clutches dont ride as nice as stock. Personally i wouldnt worry :)

Is it a puck or full faced disk? Sprung or un-sprung?

This is a new not used clutch right? Honestly it sounds like you did everything right. The clutch can make motormount issues more pronounced as it has to do in the rigidity of the hub. I know my car kinda slowly bounces forward when i release the clutch and hold it at the point where it grabs. Honestly, i wouldnt worry about it. It sounds like everything is okay. Aftermarket clutches dont ride as nice as stock. Personally i wouldnt worry :)

Yes new clutch and pressure plate. This is a relief to hear... Ill be replacing my motor mounts sometime in the future, maybe go polyurethane. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Is it a puck or full faced disk? Sprung or un-sprung?

Full faced sprung disc. It is the ACT 2100 clutch kit.

Sounds like you might have forgotten to Bolt on the bolt that goes from the back of the block to the transmission..it's a right ontop of the drivers axle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back