The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

W5M33 5th Gear Sychro

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95REGF150

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2012
Elk Grove, California
I am currently taking apart a spare W5M33. Been years since I had one apart and something struck me right off when I pulled the cover. On top of the 5th gear hub slider there is what looks like a brass synchro. However the actual synchro for 5th is below the hub slider and between the gear where it should be.

When I shift the tranny by hand the slider pushes out onto this synchro but there is nothing there to engage. My hub slider is heavily worn on this side but looks pergect on the other side closest to 5th. What is the purpose of this? Hoping someone who knows the mechanical layout of these trannys can shed some light

Ah ok thanks. Just haven't really seen it in this configuration in the other transmissions I have done. Is a lot of wear normal then for the hub slider reverse side in these trans? I'll try and post a picture of it.

Last edited:
On the 5th gear hub slider teeth. Here is a picture of it from the reverse side. Hard too see in the picture but there is what I would call a high amount of wear. The other side that engages 5th looks perfect.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well, debur and detail the hub and slider and smooth out the damage on the slider engagement teeth. The 5th/rev hub and slider is a discontinued part. Your reverse synchro is MD746439 for this application (93-99 AWD). Take close look at your reverse cone and reverse wave spring on the 5th gear cover, and then take apart the transmission further and debur and detail the reverse idler gear and take a close look at the intermediate shaft tapered roller bearings, 1st/2nd hub and slider (disassemble it), and the input shaft tapered roller bearings.

When the intermediate shaft bearings go out, it can cause shifting issues in 1st/2nd as well as reverse since the engagement teeth on the outside of the 1st/2nd slider come in contact with the reverse idler gear teeth. When they get worn down it will cause shifting issues. As well, when the input shaft tapered roller bearings start to get worn out it gets too much endplay on the shaft and the 5th gearset/reverse synchro start to have too much slack between the reverse synchro to the reverse cone and reverse wave spring to have the synchro engage the cone and slow down the input shaft. As well, it can be attributed to clutch drag otherwise, especially if 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th are burnt out as well for synchros.

If you need more part numbers I am happy to supply you them them.

OP do not mean to hijack your thread but I'm in a similar boat and have a question for Twicks69.

My 5th gear started popping out but I was on a long trip and drove for another 200miles or so in 4th, when I came home I discovered that the nut came loose ate a hole in my cover and drained all the oil. Also there is a piece of metal inside that I assume was the reverse cone? I found all the parts I need from Jack's transmissions (2 nuts, wave spring, new cover and oil) but not the reverse cone, what part number is that how does it even look like? And in the pic where I hold a mangled little steel piece that looks like a retainer ring was that the reverse cone? Thank you

Attachments

• tmp_16457-Screenshot_20170508-1843011975380905.png
    tmp_16457-Screenshot_20170508-1843011975380905.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 94
  • tmp_16457-Screenshot_20170508-1843121069397863.png
    tmp_16457-Screenshot_20170508-1843121069397863.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 148
  • tmp_16457-Screenshot_20170508-1843321837534801.png
    tmp_16457-Screenshot_20170508-1843321837534801.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 126
Other than the 5th gear cover you need a new reverse wave spring, reverse cone and machine screws and end shaft nuts at a minimum.

Other than the 5th gear cover you need a new reverse wave spring, reverse cone and machine screws and end shaft nuts at a minimum.

Would you happen to know what the part number is for the reverse cone and the reverse cone screws? Thank you

The nut that came loose is not for 5th gear but the input shaft. 5th gear is the top right nut. Take a look at the diagram.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You are right, but the 5th gear nut is also finger tight and would have come off shortly!

Reverse Wave Spring MD744342
Reverse Cone MD725928
Reverse Cone Machine Screws MD736513

Reverse Wave Spring MD744342
Reverse Cone MD725928
Reverse Cone Machine Screws MD736513

You are the THE man:) Thank you very much, I have all the parts on order except for "Reverse Cone Machine Screws MD736513" any idea where I can find them or an equivalent? Thank you

I have them in stock; Mitsubishi still sells them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back