The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Viscous Coupling Stuck On Center Dif, HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedsmsource

20+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
Hye guys, i went to remove a viscous coupling to take apart a tranny to switch out the broken case. Well the viscous coupling it stuck fast on the center diff, and will not come off. I started lightly with 2 screw drivers, to a torch and 2 screw drives, to 2 crowbars, to a gear puller with no luck. Guys have an suggestion. I'm about ready to cut the top of the diff off and replace it with a spare.

-Shain

Make sure the retaining clip is off and make sure there is no pressure on the output shaft (set the bellhousing on some 2x4s) If there is load on the output shaft, it will jam the output shaft retainer into the VC, making it harder to remove. Then get two 2 foot long Snap-On pry bars and have at it. Dont take a torch to ANYTHING in a transmission.

Later
Arnie

Thanks for the replys. The clip is off, i have done several transmission in the past. BTW this is a BM Tranny, they guys must have hit the vc with a hammer the vc onto the shaft. SO heating it is not such a bad idea since it is not scrap. I use a heavy duty gear puller and that release the output shaft so i could finsih openeing the tranny. But it is still stuck fast. This mofo will not seperate. I'm so pissed off, i'd never have work done there again. I'm about ready to plasma cut the top off and order a new one.

-Shain

Didn't want to bring this up from the dead but had a answer of how to remove the VC.

The VC is hammered on. You have a use a 3 jaw large gear puller and clamp it to the outside and pull it. You will not be able to remove the VC by hand or with screw drivers etc. Gear puller is your only bet.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Anybody else have any opinions on a stuck viscous coupler? I took apart (weakly attempted) 3 trans yesterday and two of them have stuck viscous. Sam @ileagleracing and I tried a large slide hammer with no luck. I've done dozens and I've never seen a viscous coupling stuck this bad. I'm going to try a puller a little later.
One of the couplers did move about the height of the circlip but that's it. The output shaft is loose on both units so that isn't it. I hope a puller can put more muscle it it than the slide hammer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back