The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2G viscous coupling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast97gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
if this were to break or go bad what would be the affects? I heard it will make an awd car launch fwd ... but I'm having some major launching problems and thinking maybe that's whats causing it.

My problem:
it almost feels like fuel cut but it's not. Everytime I launch really hard the car will just jerk really hard a few times and not want to accelerate until I shift to 2nd. This only happens under a hard launch .. if I do a 3k slip it won't do it .. but then it won't take off hard either. Any ideas? Viscous coupling? I know its nothing inside the engine or turbo or injectors ... EVERYTHING has been replaced on the car.

So basically when ever you begin moving from a stop it jerks and once you get moving everything is fine???

under a HARD launch it will take off for a split second ... then start jerking realy hard and nose diving. Unless I shift it will keep doing it. As soon as I hit 2nd it's fine again. if I roll off a light or something in 1st and step on it its fine too .. only under a hard launch.

p.s. It feels like when someone is learning to drive stick ( the way the car jerks when it stalls ) .. only it does it a lot harder and at 6000 rpm or so.

Only experience i had with anything similar to this is when i was running really rich. You figure at lower speeds you aren't moving as much air to mix with the fuel but once you get more air in at higher speeds you mixture is a little more balanced. I noticed you said that the injectors were replaced..were they replaced with bigger ones??? and if so do you have any fuel control (I didn't know if your mod list is real or for fun). If you have bigger injectors and no fuel control then you may be running really rich.

I had same problem and for me turned out to be boost leaks, lots of them. I had leak on j-elbow, intercooler, 3 vacum hoses, bov, biss srew, all four injectors.

thanks for all the replies guys. Yes, the mod list is a joke. The car had the launching problem on my bigger injectors ( 660s ) and then again on the ones I'm running now ( 780s ) .. I'm just using an safc and a logger ( still waiting on dsmlink ) but if I do a 3rd gear pull my O2s and timing are good so I didn't think it would be too rich in 1st. As far as boost leaks .. I pressurized the whole system up to 25 psi and got no hissing and it dropped very slowly on my guage which is normal. The car did it last summer out of nowhere ... then over the winter the engine was built up, trans was rebuilt, turbo was upgraded again, new intercooler pipes, coilpacks, clutch, ignition module, ecu and so on. You'd think one of those things would take care of the problem ... but no it's still there. I replaced the fuel filter today so maybe I'll get lucky and that's it ... if not I'm thinking the MAS, or CAS? Any other ideas?

edit: mod list updated :shhh:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back