The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Changing Viscous Coupling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laserlance

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
San Angelo, Texas
Well, i think I figure out the problem with my brothers car it's his viscous coupling. I was trying to search for an article that could help me fix it but I couldnt find one. Are there any articles out there? Another thing has anyone done this before or had a shop perform this for you and how much did they charge you?

I tried looking on there but I couldnt find anything unless its under a name I won't recognize can you link me please?

if you have the new VC, its VERY easy.

remove the pass. side wheel... then u can get a clear view of the tranny's side case.

drain the tranny... then remove the side cover of the tranny.. (several 14mm bolts) once you have that removed you can see the VC, 5th gear and sychnro assembly, and the 5th "intermediate" gear.

the VC is the smooth cylnder looking thing with no gear on it. it has a snap ring holding it on.

remove the snap ring with a little effort, and you can now slide the VC off and install the replacement.

clean off the mating surfaces, use some rtv or other sealant, and bolt up the side cover...

easy job.. should only take about an hour.

Hey that don't sound to bad. I know it's going to be more difficult then what it sounds, but I think I can do it.
How about a used viscous coupling? I have a spare in my other tranny in my other car.

I just got all bolts off from the side case but I can't the case off any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
gotta pry it off, there is a spon on it you can pry near the drain plug. if the plug is in, pry off it and it will pop off

J

Don't sound to bad I guess I will try that when I get home later.

OK I got the side cover off the tranny but I don't know what the viscous coupler looks like, can someone help me?

OK I figured out which one it is but where do I try to take it off from?

LOL

ok.. its the big round cyndrical shaped drum with no gears around it....

to remove it all you have to do is remove the snap ring in the center that is around the splines to the center diff...

use lock ring pliers and its a snap

no pun intended LOL

J

Gosh this is trouble or I'm just stupid!
Well I got the little snap ring thing off I think it was a little ring thing around the outside splines right? If that was it how do I go about taking the VC off now? I thought it would just slide right off after that but no it didn't.

Am I supposed to remove that little spline thing in the center of the VC and how?

HELL YEA. I finally got it off! Had to pry it off with a long flat head screwdriver. Now can someone tell me how the the gear and reverse thing go back in and do I need a new snap ring or is it reusable?

the 5th gear just lines up in little notches, it can only go on one way, so you cant screw it up. Just dont lose the little metal ball in the shaft and don't let it roll down into the bellhousing, LOL. You can reuse the snap ring, and what a pain in the ass it is to get it back on. I gave up one day trying to get it on, and I bet my friends they couldn't do it just so I didn't have to do it. I told them I would give them 10 bucks if they could do it and they got the job done in 15 minutes for me and I didn't have to bother with it, LOL.

LOL! What little ball? Does that mean I lost it since I didn't see it? Oh yea I cracked the side case bc the synchro fell out I think and it mashed against the case while I was tightening it down so I have to use mine from my car. Another problem that came up that I don't know how to solve is the fill plug. The fill plug bolt is stripped it's like a flat circle around it. Any ideas how to get it out? I tried using vice grips over and over didn't seem like they were doing anything. LOL! I discovered another proplem gosh to many aren't there :laugh: . What do you expect it's a DSM but yea the clutch is out well atleast I think it is you know how the car is supossed to die when you let off the lcuth it doesn't so I think the pressure plate is engaged but stuck? So now the clutch has to be replaced I didn't know. So what does everyone think sorry about the long reply.

Sorry! One more thing I forgot to mention you will probaly think this is stupid after I put the VC on and just left the case as is for now we started it up w/o the wheel on at first with one wheel in the are the wheel started spinning w/o putting gas on it is that a good sign for the tranny atleast? Also when I was taking the drain plug off no tranny fluid came out so it sprang a leak when it stopped working but my brother didn't drive it like that it was dry though thought I should mention that.

On the shaft that the vicious coupling slides over...........

It is actually a shaft inside of a shaft that goes directly to your transfer case. You can pull the shaft out by hand, but the little ball sits in a hole that keeps it from sliding out.

I guess I better check on that. Anyone else with some feedback about anyhting I said?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back