The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

typical torque needed to turn crankshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacrileger

Proven Member
Jun 26, 2016
Orillia, ON_Canada
i am trying to assess the general health of this mystery 6bolt ( https://tinyurl.com/hvh4pqr ) w/o taking too many parts off and cluttering further our family garage which already looks like it was taken over by a dsm car horder.
the motor is on engine stand, spark plugs out. i am turning the crankshaft with a 1/4" drive starting w/ cyl #1 at TDC.
for a full turn of the crank, i expect considerable resistance for every 90 degree turn to compress the valve springs; and then release. the torque i get to turn the crank 90 degrees is 25 ft. lb. for about 6 turns in a row, and then i get 32 ft.lb. for the next few, and then it can fluctuate +/- 5-8 ft. lb. what's going on? does this fluctuation matter at all? i would have expected that i needed more torque to click over the cams. perhaps i should add that the balance shaft is out of sync with the oil pump.

Or perhaps it's because you are pumping the lifters full of oil; creating more resistance.
ok. thanks. that i didnt think of. it does appear that if i let if sit for a while, it gets easier and the more i turn it, the more resistance i encounter. so i guess all good here so far. no need for concern. and at least the lifters, or some of them, are working as they should.

You are overthinking what you are doing. If you want to know a little bit about motor health then open it and Inspect it. You can run a leakdown test while the motor is on a stand but bot a compresson check. Clean it up, put new seals on it, new timing and water pump and put it in the car. Youve already claimed youre tight for time in other threads. What ive just described you can do in one day. Knowing what torque to turn the motor tells you nearly nothing unless you suddenly had to use 80 lbs or something.

If you aren't a good mechanic I would suggest getting some help. Im trying to help you here, sometimes its faster to just go turn the wrench.

I would at least pull the oil pan and check/replace the bearings while it is accessible.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back