1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Tying fog lights into side marker lights

Posted by RidleyNoah, Dec 26, 2016

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    Redondo Beach, California
    Anybody tie their fog lights into the side marker lights? Disconnecting the plug down by the fog lights and connecting directly to the side marker lights. Fog light switch would be inoperable and fogs would always come on with the side markers.

2. pksystems

pksystems Proven Member

Joined Nov 9, 2003
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Why? Save yourself the hassle of pushing in the fog light button once?

5K  25

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    As is, fog lights don't come on unless headlights are on. I went ahead and installed an inline fuse connection from the left side of the tailight fuse, took out the fog light fuse and plugged the other end of the inline fuse to the right side of the fog light fuse terminal. I now have fog lights with side marker lights and the fog light switch is still functional.
    FYI- this is a 420A.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  4. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    I've been meaning to do a volt meter test on the switch, however it should be a simple as testing the fog lights switch plug to see what pin receives the switched 12 volt current when the headlights come on, then cut that lead and use a new accessory light that comes on when the lights are on to supply the voltage

So to me, I would use the cigarette lighter trim ring light socket bulb to supply the 12 volt current to the fog lights switch. That way when you click your lights to accessory for parking lights the fog switch receives the 12 volt current to send to the relay

2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  5. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    The mod I did only took a few minutes, super easy and is still fuse protected. Didn't have to cut any wires.

6. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Just make sure you use the green/white power source wire - not the black/yellow dimmer wire.

2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  7. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico
    Here is what I did, I went to the junkyard bought the switch with the harness and then ran new wires for everything. the switch has 3 wires, a output power, input power, and ground. I ran a ground to the chassis and the input power wire to the dash lights and then ran the output power wire to a 5 pin relay. I made that pulls power from the battery and then ran the power wire from that to the fogs and never had a problem with that. here is an article on how to hook up the wires for the relay. I use it for my stereo and for my fogs but u can use this relay for anything and they only cost 5 bucks at the auto store

http://ccs.exl.info/installation/amps-electrical-upgrades/turn-on-relays/

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico
    If I remember correctly its a SPST relay

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  9. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    Here's how I did mine. Tied fogs into tailights. For some reason the guy in the video says tie into headlight fuse and take out tail light fuse. It should be tie into tail light fuse and take out fog light fuse.

miliman13 likes this.
  10. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico
    did your car come with fogs already or are u installing them onto your car? mine didn't have fogs from the factory and didn't have the fog light fuse socket

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    Mine came with fogs. The problem is from the factory the only time they come on is with the headlights, I wanted mine to come on with the parking/side marker lights.

12. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico
    oh I see well an easy way to do that (if I was gonna do it that way) would be to splice into the power wire for the side markers and run that wire to a relay so when the markers come one they trip the relay and will pull power from the battery to power the fogs. this way your only messing with one wire in the harness and if u ever want to uninstall them then its a quick disconnect. what do you think?

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    Would you even need a relay? If you unplug the fogs from the main harness and tied the fog wiring into the side marker lights right at the housing shouldn't that work? That's how I did my halos for my headlights.
    But, even easier was just making up the inline fuse jumper and making the connections inside the fuse box.

14. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico
    Well idk if that side marker power wire will have enough juice to power the fogs as well. The relay will power the fogs from the battery and the side marker power wire will just turn on the relay so the fogs will have their own dedicated power line ya know

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  15. Boostedwheels

Boostedwheels Probationary Member

Joined Jan 6, 2017
    Bethlehem, Connecticut
    You will probably want to check what gauge the marker light wire is and compare with the fog lights wire. Most likely the fog lights will have a thicker gauge since they pull more power. The best way would probably be to jump it in the fuse box. Easy and clean. Good luck

16. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    I'm powering my headlight halos with the side marker lights but you're right, they may not be able to handle the fogs (even though I have lower wattage leds).

17. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico
    yea the relay is the best bet and u can still fuse it so the fogs will be protected. let me know if u need help with the relay hook up

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  18. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    Thank, I appreciate that but I made the mod inside my fuse box. Still fuse protected and I did have to modify any of the wiring.

19. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico
    oh I see sounds good man! glad to be of help

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
    RidleyNoah likes this.
  20. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    :thumb:

21. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Isn't this in the vfaq.com site?

333  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

726  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.000 @ 109.000 · 2G DSM
  22. chrysler kid

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Its a complicated bypass mod in the vfaq site. It was like 6 pages long if I recall correctly

2K  15

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  23. unwound

unwound Probationary Member

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not a complicated mod:

And really the only tools/parts you need are a 3" piece of electrical wire and something to pull the fuse.

1. Locate foglight fuse under hood.
    2. Pull the fuse and attatch one end of the wire to the lower duse slot (faces front bumper) don't reapply the fuse.
    3. Locate the taillight relay and pull it.
    4. Attach othe end of jump wire to the middle slot of the relay and reattach the relay.

Make sure your fog switch is on and turn on your park lights. IMG_3175.JPG

It's that simple. I also used a blade connector to better seat the wire in the fuse slot.

24. RidleyNoah

RidleyNoah Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2014
    Might want to install an inline fuse in that jumper.

25. chrysler kid

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    I get what you're doing in the fuse box, but you're also sending another 12v power feed to that relay when the headlights turn on, and it now makes sense why the vfaq was detailed about getting into the fuse box to disable that initial headlights on only signal to the relay.

2K  15

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM