The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Turn Signal Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricerocket24

Probationary Member
Aug 8, 2007
P Town, Wyoming
Since I bought my 98 Eclipse the turn signals have never worked. After my 6bolt swap/build I decided its time to figure it out. The hazards have always worked, but no matter what I try the turn signals will not work.

Ive tried: New bulbs, New combination switch on the column

Ive looked at the fuses under the dash (the cover was missing so Ive been flying a little blind on that), but from the diagrams Ive looked at the turn signal and hazards are on the same fuse (is this true?). I was also wondering if the turn signals have their own relay somewhere? Any help would be great so I dont get picked up by the cops LOL.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

attachment.php

Look over those and double check the fuses for bad fuses and incorrect amps.

I checked the 10A fuse under the dash, replaced it just in case, and no dice. Would the hazards still work if the blinker switch behind the climate control was causing the turn signals to not work? I also checked the harness coming off the combination switch on the column, all looks well, so Im still at a loss for what is wrong.

Have you tried using a test light or volt meter and working backwards from the bulbs to find the issue?

I've never had this issue on my DSM so I'm not sure if they have a regular flasher like some of the other cars of the past. It'd be worth checking that too.

If its not the fuse then the problem has to lie in the wiring, especially if neither of your blinkers are working. I agree with Scott, use a volt meter to determine if the blinkers are recieving any juice at all. Its possible that a wire might have got burned from some sort of surge. But the fuse should have prevented that. Good luck.

it might be the turn signal flasher, i have a 97 eclipse gsx and mine is located behind the radio, required pulling off some interior pieces and the radio and its a black box with a circuit board in it. Its the flasher relay for you turn signals and hazards. model number (MB943259) its a denso part number parts stores will match it with a ep34 which isnt the right relay. i went to a salvage yard and picked up the turn signal switch and relay for 35$ but the flasher through dealer is 90$

OK, basically you dont have to go thru all the trouble of taking your radio out, there is a way you get it out 1000x faster maybe like a few minutes and unplug it and take it out. Just take a flat head pry off the panel where the center vents and hazard switch is. Disconnect all three wires off unless you have a convertible then just two. After that just look through and to the right and you see it plain as day and you have more than enough room to reach in and grab it but after you unscrew the mount which is a simple opening of the glove box and there is enough space for a 10mm socket, socket wrench, an extension and just lose it then you just take that wrench off and twist off by hand just using the 10mm and extension. After that just grab the flash dont worry you can nearly pull it all the way out and turn it over to disconnect the wire and BOOM!! there you have it folks all done. (Note: Once you diconnect that first plug for the hazard lights switch your blinkers are not gonna work, but you can leave it on and hanging to inspect the flasher, it wont hurt anything.)

Hi Guys,

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I'm having turn signal issues too. I keep blowing my turn signal 10 amp fuse. When I replace the fuse all the turn signals work for a few minutes and then the fuse blows again.

Do you think it's the hazard warning flasher box (Denso MB943259)?

If it keeps blowing fuses, then you have a short somewhere.

I'm wondering if the short is in the flasher relay module as everything has been fine up to this point and nothing has been touched that would/could have caused a short in the turn signal circuit.

You can pull out the relay and test for continuity.
I have the relay out, any idea what pins to check? I would just replace it but these suckers are hard as hell to find and they are expensive.

Also, since I have the relay out I'm wondering if I can put in a fresh fuse and see if it blows with the relay circuit disconnected?

I have no clue how to test it. Can research it after class tonight. You can try seeing if the fuse blows, but if the relay isn't in, then there's no load on the fuse and it won't blow anyway.
That would be great if you could find something when you have a chance. I have a Haynes manual, I'm going to take a look at the wiring diagram and see if the show anything that might be helpful.

Installing a new fuse with the relay out I guess would just show if there is a short in the wiring between the fuse block and the relay. Probably not likely.

The turn signal switch sends a ground to the flasher module to activate the "solid state" relay contained within.
The green/red wire right signal, green/blue left signal.

Attachments

• 2gexteriorlamp.jpg
    2gexteriorlamp.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 491
The turn signal switch sends a ground to the flasher module to activate the "solid state" relay contained within.
The green/red wire right signal, green/blue left signal.
What would be the proper way to test if the flasher module is bad?

Hey, hope you didn't think I forgot about this. I haven't. Been trying to sift through my manuals. Nothing so far. I tried uploading the manuals so you could download them, but Tuners won't let me again.

Definitely didn't think you forgot, you had mentioned school so I figured you'd be busy for a while.

It's so weird because the blinkers and hazard lights work fine and flash just like they should. I can hear the flasher module clicking like it should.

I had an issue with mine back when I first bought it that was similar. My hazards worked fine, but my turn signals didn't work at all. Then I replaced the turn signal combo switch and then they worked, but wouldn't shut off after turning the steering wheel back to normal following a turn. I haven't had that issue since I hacked the flasher relay wiring to have my tail lights function for the Talon tail lights (when I occasionally swap to a Talon Spyder). Now they blink and shut off like they did from the factory.

I had an issue with mine back when I first bought it that was similar. My hazards worked fine, but my turn signals didn't work at all. Then I replaced the turn signal combo switch and then they worked, but wouldn't shut off after turning the steering wheel back to normal following a turn. I haven't had that issue since I hacked the flasher relay wiring to have my tail lights function for the Talon tail lights (when I occasionally swap to a Talon Spyder). Now they blink and shut off like they did from the factory.
I'm going to take it out tomorrow and play with a few of the switches with the blinkers on and when the fuse blows maybe I can narrow down the cause that way.

Well this is all I could find (for now)... just this bit of trouble shooting info. However, it doesn't list anything on the page it indicates regarding testing procedures. I'm off to bed since I got work in the morning, but I'll pick this up again at work. Now I'm intrigued by finding the answer, so I'll keep you posted.

Let me know what you find out with your tinkering.

:hmm:

Attachments

• Troubleshoot.jpg
    Troubleshoot.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 403
Well this is all I could find (for now)... just this bit of trouble shooting info. However, it doesn't list anything on the page it indicates regarding testing procedures. I'm off to bed since I got work in the morning, but I'll pick this up again at work. Now I'm intrigued by finding the answer, so I'll keep you posted.

Let me know what you find out with your tinkering.

:hmm:
Thanks for the help so far. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back