The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo Wrap & Blanket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92PandaTalonTSI

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2011
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Hey guys and girls. Just wanted to let everyone know about the step I did to my car this past weekend. I ordered heat wrap off of eBay and a turbo blanket as well. I found a good price ($35 Shipped) for the wrap because it was meant to be used for an RV. Still the same temperature and everything, but a whole lot cheaper because it wasn't classified as "performance". Wrapping the tubular manifold was kind of a pain because of how close the pipes were but wasn't too bad. The wrap was 50' x 2". I have the link below for the product. The guy didn't send the zip ties but they are chear at Home Depot so no big deal. After wrapping the manifold I had more then half left (Will use on aftermarket downpipe). Just make sure you wear gloves when wrapping it. The fiberglass was stuck in my hands for two days and hurt like a biatch. I also purchased a turbo blanket. It fit on pretty damn well. No issues at all. I should be able to drop the temperatures a lot in the engine bay.

When mating the new manifold and turbo together, I had the use a torch to get the stock stud out of the stock 14b. Then Autozone had the studs there to mount it to the manifold easily. Overall the setup turned out pretty well. The pic attached is without the stainless downpipe and everything. And the links are the exact products I ordered.

P.S.- I know about the oil issues and the turbo blanket. I will check for any oil residue in the blanket at every oil change so please no lectures.

XPW 50' Onan Generator Exhaust Pipe Wrap - Keep Heat OUT of RV! Kit with 8 ties | eBay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

By the way for anyone whos been keeping up with my build, it'll be done in about 2 weeks. Been a year since I got to drive my DSM.

Attachments

• Cooler Turbo.jpg
    Cooler Turbo.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 295
Lot of work. Not easy to do. Came out really well. I put it on wet. Also high temp silicon sprayed it. Cut down on underwood temps. Lasted for about 2 years before it just started crumbling and fell apart. Now my ss DNP manifold looks like crap. I wouldn't do it again. I bought a vented carbon fiber hood instead. Ah well mostly I see the DNP exhaust manifold as a throwaway item. I question how much performance I gained from it. I've never seen a comparison on it. Later on when I upgrade the turbo again I'll get a better SS exhaust mani and get it Swaintech coated.

hmm it seems like overtime it happens regardless so i might just get the thing powdercoated and call it a day

Header wrap is not just for reducing the heat under the hood. There are many other things that are heated from the explosions contained in the cylinders. However, wrapping your headers is like putting on a jacket. It let's some heat out, but it keeps the pipes hot. This allows the hot gases to flow through the pipes without dissapaiting as much heat, there by maintaining velocity. In short, the header wrap will make the header perform better, by moving the gas from the engine to the turbo at an improved rate, helping spool-time.

For example, I had my MBC set at 20psi on my 20g. After wrapping the header, with no change to the MBC, I was boosting 22psi 600 rpm's earlier.

Sent from my Droid Incredible, because I can.

i see but after wrapping your manifold did the wrap ever crumble from the heat and made your manifold look nasty?

You can see pics of my exhaust mani wrap under my other account bmoha2.
There can be no question that ceramic coating or thermal wrap helps a turbos performance. I've read that it's somewhere between 1&3%. I have no way to back up what I've read. Any gain is a gain. The wraps work. They just have a limited lifespan and need to redone every so often. I've heard the Swaintech coatings lasts a long time. Only available in white.

Last edited by a moderator:
My heat wrap has always held up great as long as I dont mess with the manifold to much. If you leave it alone its fine but when you start taking it on and off and handling it a lot it will start to tear up. Also make sure to use the silicon spray when you get done wrapping it.

My heat wrap has always held up great as long as I dont mess with the manifold to much. If you leave it alone its fine but when you start taking it on and off and handling it a lot it will start to tear up. Also make sure to use the silicon spray when you get done wrapping it.

Correct, over time, the heat will make it solid in the shape it was in. That is why it must be wrapped tight. I've heard people say that they soak the wrap in water when they wrap. It does help to keep it tight while you wrap it, however, you must let it air dry and then spray it with the silicone spray. That will add to the durability and longevity of the wrap. It works, but like our card, it isn't exactly low maintenance.

Hope this information helps! :talon:

I got one of the best coatings 2000* Satin black ceramic coating and Coated my header than DEI titanium wrapped it. Also had DEI titanium turbo shield kit. I didn't have the turbine housing ceramic coated but I will on my new turbo. The only issue is It's not the cheapest route. It'll cost around $425+ to do all of it that way. If you have the loot that is the way to go. It's the most durable, effective, and the most beneficial performance wise.

Mine are wrapped, because when they werent my fan bladed would melt.. I bought the DEI lava ones? not as clean looking as I would like , but I felt it drastically lowered the engine bay temps and I havent melted a fan since..

Ive gone a bit engine bay heat shielding mad in the last few days. Ceramic coated manifold, turbo blanket, header wrapped o2 housing, wrapped dp. Then I used DEI refective tape on the water pipe, lower intercooler piping, oil cooler line, all the wiring near the exhaust, and finally DEI refective sheet over the stock hood heat shield.

Ive gone a bit engine bay heat shielding mad in the last few days. Ceramic coated manifold, turbo blanket, header wrapped o2 housing, wrapped dp. Then I used DEI refective tape on the water pipe, lower intercooler piping, oil cooler line, all the wiring near the exhaust, and finally DEI refective sheet over the stock hood heat shield.
I have almost the exact same setup. I coated and wrapped my dumptubes also :hellyeah:. You spent a pretty penny ROFL. Do you notice a difference yet?

How is your reflective sheet holding up? I put one on the bottom of my stock hood and it started to sag near the manifold so I had to cut the edges out but the spine of the hood. Works good but the adheasive just didn't like the temp too much.

i have a knock off tubular manifold. I wrapped it and then 6 months later I had to weld a lot of cracks then remachine the flange. Cause of the warping from welding. Anyway, I went with a vented vader hood on my 1g with a good s.s. heat shield I made that covers alot of the manifold and down between the downpipe and radiator. I caught the DEI lava rock turbo blanket on sell last year and I would say it made more difference than my hood did. And I also got a good alum. front undertray i made that redirects air to the radiator, but the lava rock blanket did alot more than the other mods. And I will never wrap my manifolds again. i been debating on a half sized radiator. But still not sure if I wanna try it? Nothing really says it will help or not.

I've currently been using the DEI Titanium wrap with decent success on the exhaust manifold and the first section of the downpipe next to the oil filter. Been looking at the new coatings from FFWD for my turbine and o2 housing, has anyone used these yet?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back