The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Turbo Wrap & Blanket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92PandaTalonTSI

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2011
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Hey guys and girls. Just wanted to let everyone know about the step I did to my car this past weekend. I ordered heat wrap off of eBay and a turbo blanket as well. I found a good price ($35 Shipped) for the wrap because it was meant to be used for an RV. Still the same temperature and everything, but a whole lot cheaper because it wasn't classified as "performance". Wrapping the tubular manifold was kind of a pain because of how close the pipes were but wasn't too bad. The wrap was 50' x 2". I have the link below for the product. The guy didn't send the zip ties but they are chear at Home Depot so no big deal. After wrapping the manifold I had more then half left (Will use on aftermarket downpipe). Just make sure you wear gloves when wrapping it. The fiberglass was stuck in my hands for two days and hurt like a biatch. I also purchased a turbo blanket. It fit on pretty damn well. No issues at all. I should be able to drop the temperatures a lot in the engine bay.

When mating the new manifold and turbo together, I had the use a torch to get the stock stud out of the stock 14b. Then Autozone had the studs there to mount it to the manifold easily. Overall the setup turned out pretty well. The pic attached is without the stainless downpipe and everything. And the links are the exact products I ordered.

P.S.- I know about the oil issues and the turbo blanket. I will check for any oil residue in the blanket at every oil change so please no lectures.

XPW 50' Onan Generator Exhaust Pipe Wrap - Keep Heat OUT of RV! Kit with 8 ties | eBay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

By the way for anyone whos been keeping up with my build, it'll be done in about 2 weeks. Been a year since I got to drive my DSM.

Attachments

• Cooler Turbo.jpg
    Cooler Turbo.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 295
Looks good!!! How much did the wrap reduce your temps under the hood?

Looks good!!! How much did the wrap reduce your temps under the hood?

Haven't got a chance to check yet because the car can't run since I'm swapping a 90 style Oil Filter Housing and made the lines too long so I need to redo it. Plus pulled the throttle body for a rebuild and thermostat to block the nipple for the old style oil filter housing. So once I re-install everything, I'll let you know how cold it is under the hood.

this thread is perfect time cause i was just looking at heat wrapping material for my manifold. please post how well the material is because the last heat wrap i used the dei one not the titanium one and when i removed the manifold the heat wrap was all stiff and just peeled off. so i wanna know how well this handles the heat.

Those zip ties wont cut it. Theyll more then likely melt and your hard work will be for not. Theres a reason DEI includes metal ties. Very nice looking though good job.

Yea the ones in the auction are metal zip ties and the ones I bought ere metal zip ties. You can see in the picture I used the metal ones. In some spots you have to connect two together to make it long enough or order long ones online. But connecting them worked well enough

And I will let you know when I get the thing running. I was told to spray it with water right before I start it up for the first time because it will give the leather cowboy boot effect (suction to the pipes). Is this true?

thats what i heard. i heard u dip the roll in water as your wrapping it around the pipe but not 100% sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Heater wrap is not worth it imo can cause fires and not really that much drop in temp.But yes dip it in water and stretch it tight, but it most likley will start to break apart especially on tubular headers.

yea thats what happened to mine. is there another way to go on reduce the heat? maybe powdercoating?

You can always spend some cash and send it to swain for coating. Amazing stuff they do there. My brother had his b20 turbo mani done and you can hold your hand bout 2" away before u feel radient heat.

And I couldnt tell if they were metal I apologize.

Heat over time will make it "crumble". Nothing short of ceramic coating over it will reduce the "heat". Heat is a by product when using an "internal combustion" engine. Exhaust gases cause heat, and cooling of the radiator causes more heat which requires the use of a "cooling fan". Let's not forget that all the oils and fluids are even radiating some kind of "heat".

An engine is not 100% efficient, wish there was such a thing. 85% of an engines performance is wasted because of the "heat" that is generated while it is running. That 15% remaining is all that we get to use. That is unless you got a Turbo. That exhaust gas is reused and we can now gain on that 15% number just a little and get some improvement.

Look at the entire picture when you want to reduce engines "heat" signature. There is allot more involved than you would imagine. The faster you go the more "heat" that will be generated to get that fast. It's the Laws of Psychics, you can't do nothing about it, just have to manage it efficiently. Use blower ducts and high performance fans if you can afford the expense. That would be money well invested and easier to install.

Last edited by a moderator:
DEI and ptp make the best of both IMO.... thinking about sending in my exhuast manifold to get it coated then wrap it also

DEI and ptp make the best of both IMO.... thinking about sending in my exhuast manifold to get it coated then wrap it also

well i tried dei regular wrap and after time it did crumble i dont know if the same will happen with there titatium one tho.

You can always spend some cash and send it to swain for coating. Amazing stuff they do there. My brother had his b20 turbo mani done and you can hold your hand bout 2" away before u feel radient heat.

And I couldnt tell if they were metal I apologize.

swain huh. never heard of them. what kind of coating did your brother get?ceramic?

Getting it coated is ok but I would just say F it and just leave it how it is.

I orderd their new ti one it hasnt gotten here yet, but i willl be sure to update how well it works

Heater wrap is not worth it imo can cause fires and not really that much drop in temp.

It's made of fiberglass, i.e. glass fibers. It won't catch fire. If people are having their wrap break, then maybe they should try wrapping it looser. The metal of the manifold will expand, while the glass won't do much.

i have a stock 1g, will wrapping make any difference, or should i just wait till i upgrade the manifold?

Ive always wrapped damn near everything in dei wrap, and its never came apart or even close to caught fire. I will let it soak in warm water, in a bucket before using it. It will shrink and dry out as the car runs. The Ti stuff is pretty ba also.

Lot of work. Not easy to do. Came out really well. I put it on wet. Also high temp silicon sprayed it. Cut down on underwood temps. Lasted for about 2 years before it just started crumbling and fell apart. Now my ss DNP manifold looks like crap. I wouldn't do it again. I bought a vented carbon fiber hood instead. Ah well mostly I see the DNP exhaust manifold as a throwaway item. I question how much performance I gained from it. I've never seen a comparison on it. Later on when I upgrade the turbo again I'll get a better SS exhaust mani and get it Swaintech coated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back