The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G turbo selection for autocross build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshMc

Proven Member
Nov 18, 2015
Kansas City, Missouri
okay so im torn between trying to decide what type of turbo i should choose, ive looked at the mitsu turbos, an evo 3 16g, or a 20g. fp red, green, or 68hta, a 50 trim etc etc, just looking for people that have used any of these turbos that can support anywhere from 350-450 hp to the wheels, im on evo 8 ecu, speed density, evo 3 intake mani, fp race exh mani, electronic bc, built bottom end 10:1, stock rebuilt head, e85 will be my fuel of choice if not c16 when its available,

im looking for a very hard hitting turbo with good spool but with a "decent" top end as well, this will be my daily driver but ill be competing at at least 10 events every season as well as the possibilty of a track day at a roadcourse and am hoping to be fairly competitive, any help and input from real world use of power you guys make, when you make it, flow your seeing etc etc, thanks in advance!

You will want the E3 16g. That is about as big as you want and good for 350ish on E85. However, you will find quickly that those damned miatas will still put down better times than you even with the power. Not to mention those mods will put into Street Modified or higher if you aren't careful. Your main focus after the 16g should be less weight, suspension, and rims and tires. I started last year with only the 16g tuned @ 20 psi and struggled with bad handling (I have a GSX btw). I have on mine a 16g still @ 20psi, HKS 264/264(for a little more power everywhere, most importantly down low) and all supporting mods. Suspension wise I've got the RM Sway bars, front and back, Feal coilovers with a higher spring rate in front(highly recommend Feal). And tires and rims: 17x9 Enkei RPF1's and Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's 245/40/17, it's crazy quick after the wheel/tire setup. But turbo should stay small so it spools faster/quicker. The tight nature of turns in autocross in some places means those places are where we get beat, because these cars are heavyyy. Now that I've gotten that out there, I probably make around 300hp. Seeing 20 psi by like 3500ish. Flow depends on how hot it is.

sweet man, thanks for the advice! how much did the sway bars help out? i have them bookmarked from extreme for like $300ish, so its a decently cheaper upgrade if it helps out a bit! i also heard feal had some pretty good stuff, i was looking at the ground control coil overs with the koni yellows, but if feal is better ill have to do some more research into them, thanks again for the input!

I'd recommend in order:

1) Evo III 16G
2) Bastard 20G
3) 68HTA V1 (TD05H variant)

Each will net you close to your HP goals. Response will vary according to setup and implementation.

For autocross, good transient boost response it what you want. Too bad there aren't any good ball bearing options for the stock frame MHI type turbos.

Unless you have a stroker or are very good at left foot braking, stick with the T25 for autocross use. I've done about 7 events this year and could not imagine anymore lag would be helpful.

If anything, maybe a t28, small 16g, or even a 14b.

Keep the 14b you have in your profile, or go back to the t25 for the time being. Learn to drive the car the way it is. Next, look at brakes, suspension, handling, and drivetrain. Power would be the last thing I would look at. Build your car to a particular class if you are looking to be competitive instead of throwing parts at it. Be sure to check out the classing rules of the organization you plan to compete in. You will have more fun and the car will be more reliable. I am happy to help out if you want suggestions.

If you still insist on power, I will add another option on Brett's list (in order):

1) Evo X 152G6 TD05H Turbocharger (bolt-on)
2) Evo III 16G
3) Bastard 20G
4) 68HTA V1 (TD05H variant)

Last edited:
For what it's worth, ive had GREAT success running a 20g for AX. 25psi, e85, tuned myself.

Check out my build thread.

Seat time, seat time, seat time....and good tires.

I consistently would best Evos, STIs, Miatas, Lotus's, you name it.

It's ALL about reading the course and knowing how to drive your car. I think a solid 16g setup would be a great turbo for AX.

For what it's worth, ive had GREAT success running a 20g for AX. 25psi, e85, tuned myself.

Check out my build thread.

Seat time, seat time, seat time....and good tires.

I consistently would best Evos, STIs, Miatas, Lotus's, you name it.

It's ALL about reading the course and knowing how to drive your car. I think a solid 16g setup would be a great turbo for AX.

E85 is a hell of a drug which helps spool turbo's faster. Which version 20g did you have? I had a td06 back in the day and it wouldn't hit 20psi until 4200 rpm. Not good when you're trying to come out of a corner at 3000rpm.

With 10:1 compression and looking for a minimum of 350awhp I think the 16g would be lacking. The upper efficiency range of that turbo would put you in the bottom of your power range. High compression and E85 is going to really help spool a bigger turbo.

But it's AX, so driver and balance means more than power.

Ill give you this advice.

The current SM champion or has been the champion a couple times in the Mid Atlantic area is an EVO 9 running a stock turbo that has been ported out.
Your automatically going to be in a very competitive field due to your mods. Power shouldn't be high priority on your list. Seat time, Gooooooood Tire and suspension tuning is what you need.

I would say 16G is the way to go with E85 and focus on other areas. Your at a disadvantage against evos, STI's and S2000 and E36's due to lack of suspension setups DSM's have.

I had an GSX, and EVO 9 and now a GSX again. So I have a good idea. This was my EVO 9 AX setup

Stock turbo. (Full bolts, Tune and HKS 264 cam) The cam put me in SM unfortunately. HP 350 340TQ
HSD coilovers 8K Front 10K rear
White line 22mm rear sway with adj end links
Wedsport TC105n with BFG Rival tire. (loved this tire)
Super pro anti lift kit.

I usually came in 5th most of my events. in a field of 8 people. I had the power. Just not the seat time, or enough tire for that class..... which sucks. If you have never used a slick before on AutoX please try a hybrid tire first. I seen many a AWD spin out. When a slick lets go. It lets go.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back