The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbo in non-turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILM90LaserRS

Probationary Member
Mar 9, 2005
Gasport, New_York
Okay, I have owned my 90 Laser for about 2 years now and the motor finally decided to go. I love this car to death. This motor was the normal VIN R 4G63 Non Turbo. I knew this was gonna come soon, but not this soon. Anyways, a just met this guy from work who has another motor for my car. But this motor is a turbo! I was wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know what will need to be changed in my laser to swap this motor with the old 2.0 N/T. I already think i know what I am going to have to change (exhaust resonator and manifold, ECU, engine wiring harness, gauge cluster) but wanted to know if anyone could give me some tips. Thanksundefined

ILM90LaserRS said:
the motor finally decided to go
What does this mean? Are you losing compression?

Honestly it doesn't take much to convert a N/T 4G63 into a turbo. Pistons, Intake Cam, Knock Sensor... which is probably easier than swaping in a whole new motor.

Here are the motor differences:
Thread on motor differences

Here's how to convert your N/T to a turbo:
The 4G63 NT Engine, and How to make a turbo kit for it!

Here's how to swap out the N/T for a turbo motor... if you must:
Installing a turbo 4g63 into an nt 4g63

Good luck and keep searching for more references before you start anything!

-Turblown

okay. what i meant by that was i was beginning to notice a lack of power. I had changed the plugs and wires and yet nothing was fixed. then, one night after leaving work, my car started making odd noises, sounded like a bad bearing. I pulled over and oil began leaking out like an sob. Brought her home and refilled the oil and I finally got her fired over. She had ran like crap and had absolutely no power or compression. Thanks for the links

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back