The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

tuning leads to ticking????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backinajiffy12

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
Ok so yesterday I took my car down to get tuned and dyno'd (rebuilt motor with 1500 miles on it.). so pull 1 no boost went well 225hp. pull 2 3-8psi 258hp. then we heard this ticking sound coming from the timing belt area but we couldnt pin point it. so we took the car off the dyno cause we had to tune another car. then we started it up this morning no tick :confused: what could it be? thankx for any input

-Jordan-

How did you make 225 hp with "no boost", and are you saying pull 2 AND 3 were at 8psi and you made 258 hp on both pulls or on pull 2 you were at between 3 and 8 psi and made 258 hp? That whole section doesn't make sense, especially the no boost part.

As far as the ticking it could be lifters, could be a pulley or belt, could be a rod. With the information given thats about as far as I could narrow it down.

Take a screwdriver and put it against your valve cover and see if you can narrow it down to one lifter. If you have a mechanics stethoscope, use it on the head and block and see if that helps find it. The closer you get to whatever is ticking the louder it will get.

I had a similar problem.It ticked at low rpms sometimes and then it would go away.Turned out to be teeth sheered from my timingbelt.4 teeth were gone and the next four were ripped halfway off.The cause was a bad tensioner.Check the belt or take the timing cover off and inspect.Better safe than sorry

well, if it was ticking coming from a lifter, it's possible that it was just some crud in the oil that got on the lifter, and then next time got flushed off. but like previously posted, try using a screw driver or mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint where its' coming from(if it comes back). then you'll be able to figure it out a lot easier.

Yeah its really hard to say, I guess the best thing to do would just be inspect all of your pulleys and belts etc. as mentioned and if you don't find anything then keep a close ear out for it and if it never comes back then not stress over it. Lifter tick can be sporadic, if it comes back record a video clip of it and post it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back