The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transgo vs Translab

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mork

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
After looking around quite a bit I've found both the Translab and Transgo shift kits available for our cars. I'm aware that the Translab shift kit is far more common but I was curious about experiences with the other shift kit. The Translab is cheapest AFAIK from IPT at $92 with about $14 shipping. The Transgo kit can be found for as little as $52 with unknown shipping. Any experience with transgo products would be helpful here.

Beyond that IPT offers $25 off for new email registration to their mailing lists but only for purchases over $150. Unfortunately there is nothing else that I need or want from IPT at this time otherwise the $25 would have made up the price difference enough for me to simply forget about the Transgo product.

Links:

Translab
Translab Shift Kit (High Performance Type)

Transgo
Mitsubishi Shift Kits
http://www.transgo.com/kit_images/SK KM175-77.jpg
Mitsubishi Car Automatic Transmission repair parts, supply the parts save money!

I've used the Translab kits in the Mitsu KM series (ours) for many years now. I've always liked and recommended it. I've never installed a Transgo kit into one of ours, but I've tryed them in many other transmissions. I'll be honest and tell you that while I've never had a problem with Transgo products, they've never really "fixed" any issues or produced any noticable differences in any transmission that I've used them in. I'd stick with the Translab kit. Not only does it firm up your shifts, but it also "fixes" a lot of problems that are associated with our valve bodies before they even become a problem.

Just for archiving purpose, I have actually switched from Transgo to Translab.

The Transgo did what it says on the box, firm up 2-3 shift. The rest felt stock. It did not have you drill as many holes as Translab or came with as many replacement springs. It was decent for the $25 that I paid for it.

The Translab is totally different. It is firm in every gear. A little too harsh for low throttle driving which I do a lot of with the black spring. I may switch to the red spring one of these days if I don't get used to the "harshness" of the downshift. Good product.

I've only had it for a day. I will try the OD off and see if that makes a a difference. If it does, then I'll keep the black spring in there. Thanks.

I don't mean to thread jack but since there will be a lot of auto guys in here I just wanted to ask: do you need or even want a shift kit if you're using a shift box for the track and daily driving on the TCU?

I don't mean to thread jack but since there will be a lot of auto guys in here I just wanted to ask: do you need or even want a shift kit if you're using a shift box for the track and daily driving on the TCU?

line pressure and shift kit do different things. The shift kit changes the valve behavior via spring, which is more for shift speed (which in turn makes it feel more firm). Line pressure increase will eliminate the slip on the gear changes and add more holding power to the clutch packs.

line pressure is more important than a shift kit. In my experience the shift kit is not really required, just make sure the pressure relief is adjusted right, but it does make things slight more consistent and a little nicer to have. I like having it, but you can get by without it.

So I was driving to work yesterday and my car started downshifting from 3-2 harshly and with stop and go traffic here on California freeways, it drove me crazy.

I love the firmness of the black spring but I just put in the red spring last night and will see how she does. Initial around the block drive definitely made shifting firmness less. Dowhshift is also less harsh.

So if you do daily drive in traffic, I mean stop and go (parking lot) type traffic, I would think long and hard on which spring to use. I'm glad I used the black first so now that I have the red spring I won't wonder how the black is.

Just for archiving purpose, I have actually switched from Transgo to Translab.

The Transgo did what it says on the box, firm up 2-3 shift. The rest felt stock. It did not have you drill as many holes as Translab or came with as many replacement springs. It was decent for the $25 that I paid for it.

The Translab is totally different. It is firm in every gear. A little too harsh for low throttle driving which I do a lot of with the black spring. I may switch to the red spring one of these days if I don't get used to the "harshness" of the downshift. Good product.

I agree. I had the same experience with the 2 kits. I got the Transgo kit first by mistake. I used it, didn't like it so I got the Translab kit.

So after a full day of driving around, I can safely say that the red spring is suited for my application. Daily driving with occasional WOT or spirited driving every now and then.

I also noticed that even with the red spring the shifting firmness is still better than stock.

One thing I can say is that the third time going into my VB made it easier to tear down and put back together. Plus the fact that the instructions were detailed enough that I didn't even bother keeping track of where the bolts came from, just took them off with a drill-driver and tossed them in a small bucket.

Overall, I would recommend the shift kit to anyone thinking about it. It is worth it.

Shift kit and end clutches is the first thing I recommend to people.

Man, all this talk about these autos make me want to try one. Ive had this damn manual trans out 3 times last year(clutch,shift forks,syncros) and its still f#@!$ up!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back