The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Trans codes with loss of 4th gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkcstr

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
So, have some questions about my transmission.

First off, I was finishing up a 300mi trip this past Sunday when my car started free revving in gear, noticed shutting off OD fixed the issue, meaning 4th gear wasn't working. This isn't the first time this has happened and I had to replace my end clutches about a year ago, which I had the IPT clutches and was working fine since then.

However, now I'm afraid my end clutches have gone again. Seems odd since this is the second set in a row that lasted about 1 year. But, aside from that, something that may or may not be related, I've noticed my RPMs jumping during acceleration, like it would steadily climb but jump by 200-300 RPM for a split second as it was climbing, like it was spiking. Wasn't sure what it was about initially, but now I'm wondering if it was transmission slippage. Now, I didn't FEEL these spikes, just noticed them happening during acceleration sometimes.

Now, I also checked my TCU codes today and I got:
21 "open circuit kickdown servo"
52 "2nd gear incorrect ratio"
54 "4th gear incorrect ratio"

I've looked at the troubleshooting recommendations, but aside from replacing the end clutch, I don't know about the others. Could they be triggered by loss of the end clutch alone? Is there something more going on? Does this mean 2nd gear is going as well and/or other components? Could it just be due to fluid contamination from the end clutch and/or clogged filter? I plan to do filter and fluid along with end clutch this week, but didn't know if I should strongly consider taking it to a transmission place to check out.

Sounds like your 2nd band is too delayed & is wearing out your 4th. Did you change your
filter last year when your 4th died ? It could be bent or cracked flanges on your 2nd band
& the drum is slipping. Is your car flaring in revs in 2nd ? Does 1st to 2nd bite well ?
I'm guessing your 2nd is your prob. If it's just a bad filter, kick your own arse ;-)
Cheers !

Our problems are very similar, If i floor my car during higher gears it slips. ive actually almost got it to were it doesnt slip replaced the valve body sylanoids that seemed to help out a little bit also the tranny fluid plus the filter, I also found a bolt off my rear tranny mount and put in a ipt end clutch kit. Next im going to put in a new valve body seperator plate after watching a couple videos and reading up on it they tend to wear out and cause slip issues so im going to put a shift kit in also if that dont fix my problem im going to check out my kick down gear/servo gear see if the band is worn i think its possible that could be the problem for mine, a rebuild might just be the way to go im thinking about hat next

If your 2nd gear isn't shot, replace the end clutches,get a shift kit, transcooler and most importantly line pressure mod which if you know how to do a little wiring pretty much gets rid of slips and makes your shifts solid.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back