The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Tick sound engine off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoYo_4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2008
Carolina, Puerto_Rico
So after i turn off the engine or simply turn it at the damper with a wrench, i have a weird tick noise coming from the head:hmm: Engine is new, gsc s2 cams, gsc springs and revised lifters. The engine doesn't makes the typical tick noise while running.

How long has this been happening?

since i did the engine, it have like 30hrs of use. The other engine/setup had almost the same parts except for the 3g lifters and cams and didn't make that anoying sound.

Are you sure that it's not lifter tick? Did you check the oil level? What kind of oil are you running? A quick vid could probably bring more answers.

Sounds like a case of tappet noise, which is common on hydraulic lifter motors when they lose their lift due to lack of oil pressure - a bit of clatter until pressure is built back up when starting.

Course, you've got a modified head with larger cams and larger opening 3G lifters that demands more oil to function, thus I would begin to get used to it.

-DSM

My car has been doing this for as long as i remember. A few minutes after it shuts down at temp it makes a few audible clucking noises. I assumed it was something with the hydraulic lash adjusters cooling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back