1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Throttle body seals

Posted by jlaw12, Jan 10, 2014

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. jlaw12

jlaw12 Proven Member

Joined Jul 2, 2012
    roy, Utah
    Is there anything that can cause them to go bad quickly? I bought a freshly rebuilt one from a very reliable person less than a year ago and they are already bad.

2. dsmcrazy2

dsmcrazy2 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 16, 2009
    Haledon, New Jersey
    Yes, of course. Sounds like the beauty of aftermarket parts.. How sure are you it was rebuilt? Also takes into consideration how many miles it had/the conditions it was undergoing prior to you owning it? Also, what test have you done to conclude its leaking from the seals?

3. HIGHPSI4

HIGHPSI4 Proven Member

Joined May 11, 2003
    Vale, North Carolina
    Yes, Cheap O rings dry rot fast when exposed to air and heat.

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. rich3389

rich3389 Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2006
    Ocean springs, Mississippi
    Incorrect installation or cheap parts (like some random 0-rings) will cause them to fail prematurely.

814  10

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Pretty easy fix but be careful if you attempt it when you have to remove the throttle plate screws, which if it is rebuilt, should have lock tite on them now. If you do your own seals like we did, dremel off the edges of the back sides of the throttle plate screws before attempting (with a proper fitting phillips screwdriver) to remove them and mark the plate so it goes back in the shaft exactly the way it came out or it won't seal. We did my son's and since I am good with carbs, it was a breeze. I lubed the seals with some vasaline and the shaft too before sliding it back into the bore. Just info, hope it helps. Not sure of the vendor for the seals, but it was a reputable one that I expect was found on here.

Street Build 4K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

658  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

487  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 695  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  6. twicks69

twicks69 Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    If it is one of mine, I will rebuild it free of charge. If not, I would be happy to sell you some shaft seals to repair the problem.

Drag Race Build 7K  12  76

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM
  7. jlaw12

jlaw12 Proven Member

Joined Jul 2, 2012
    roy, Utah
    It was rebuilt with all oem parts.

It wasn't from you and I already ordered new seals. But thank you