1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Throttle Body Adapter/Cooler

Posted by Kai Hefner, Nov 24, 2020

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I’m working out some new ideas for parts. I’m mocking the holes for our DSM throttle body.

I wanted to make adapters for throttle bodies off of other cars. What throttle bodies do we commonly use, maybe that we’d like to see?
    I was also tossing around the idea of a spacer in front of the throttle body that pumps cold water through it to cool the incoming air. Is throttle body freezing a big deal?
    Any other ideas?
    Should mention that these will be CNC’d, not 3D printed.

163  1

1990 Nissan 240sx
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Road Race Build 994  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    The Mustang 5.0 throttle body is a good one, some guys use a Nissan throttle body, maybe a Viper or Vette throttle body could be made to work? I'm not sure on those two but I'm guessing that they would have to be a decent size and thats what the point in going to an aftermarket throttle body is right? mostly bigger size and more potential flow, maybe better durability over the stock Dsm unit otherwise?

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Some where, Colorado
    For the cooler idea, what would you be supplying it with? Coolant I think would be too hot. Are you planning some auxiliary pump for this?

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  4. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Yes, an aux pump. I was thinking of making it like an ice box, and cold water would be pumped through. It's more of an "ice it down and go race" sort of deal.

163  1

1990 Nissan 240sx

Road Race Build 994  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Stapl3

Stapl3 Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2004
    MI, Michigan
    The air is there for a millisecond with only a faction of it actually coming in contact with the metal. Gains or losses probably wouldn't even be measurable. If anything the complexity and weight of it all would be a step backward.

Street Build 2K  11

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    2gjlc likes this.
  6. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I thought about that too. I was actually thinking of engineering basically the entire elbow.

163  1

1990 Nissan 240sx

Road Race Build 994  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. Stapl3

Stapl3 Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2004
    MI, Michigan
    Even then you're basically making a 4" long hollow AWIC. I just don't see it doing anything worthwhile.

If it was a legit barrel AWIC the size of the tb elbow, it would be so small the area vs cooling ability would be awful at best. I wedged the biggest AWIC I could fit in my space and sort of regret doing it all said and done.

Street Build 2K  11

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Ok myb throttle body adapters first LOL

163  1

1990 Nissan 240sx

Road Race Build 994  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Dreams Realized

Dreams Realized Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2018
    Seattle, Washington
    Forgive me for being ignorant but isn't the job of cooling/condensing air the whole point of the turbo and intercooler set up?

I always thought the throttle body wanted warm air because fuel atomizes better in less dense air. I would think that a throttle body cooler would work against what you want, at least in a turbocharged engine.

Anyway I think an LS throttle body would be pretty good if you could get it to fit. Having 32mm more diameter would significantly increase open throttle airflow I would think :hellyeah:

Street Build 1K  4

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. Stapl3

Stapl3 Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2004
    MI, Michigan
    The injectors spray into the head and it's already atomized. The intercooler is more of a heatsoak than heat exchanger.

Street Build 2K  11

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Dreams Realized likes this.