The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Thinking about selling her for college

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSi Kid

Probationary Member
May 31, 2009
Avondale, Arizona
Let me start this off with how much I love my talon. I don't care about the problems that come up with it, and i've learned so much about cars from her.

But I start college in august, and the condo i'm moving into doesn't allow us to work on cars. Plus, college is about 40 min away from home or any of my friends house's where I could work on my car.

I've found a lot of clean srt4's for about 6-7 grand

There's this insurance that covers "exotic" for almost nothing, it quoted me an evo for $1100 a year. The only catch is that you can't drive it very often and they do odometer checks. But college is about half a mile from my condo and my work is across the street from the condo as well so i would barely be putting miles on it

I don't want to sell her, but for college I was thinking I might need a more reliable car.

Dont bash it, it'll be reliable. You no longer have to prove to anyone how fast your car is. Im in college too, and my home is about a good 45mins to a hour away, but i just cant let it go. It fits me too much

Dont you have any friends in the area with a garage? I never had reliability issues with my 1G. My 2G was far more temperamental.

Yeah DSM's run fine if you take care of them and keep proper maintenance. Buy a boring Camry or Accord if you want something reliable that you can neglect too ;)

Don't do any more mods to the car and keep up maintenance and you won't have any problems.

But, just in case, feel free to join AAA.

i'm guna try to find some dsm support over by the campus
i just fixed my turbo and felt boost for the first time in two months, so if i do sell it its going to be really hard

i'm just worrying about my financial status

You're gonna have alot of things to worry about with school, so a reliable car is a definite necessity. I was in the same situation, so I found a good deal on a srt4. It's been worry free since I got it. You can always buy another dsm down the road.

Have you looked into multi car discounts for Insurance? You could get a camry or a Celica as a DD and the DSM can be a toy. My insurance only increased by 5 bucks when I included my wife's 77 Celica GT to my policy.

i'm 18 with 2 crashes under my belt so i get bent over on insurance
the only reason i would consider another car is because i would be driving so little and this new insurance company would cover an srt4 for $45 a month for a year

You're gonna have alot of things to worry about with school, so a reliable car is a definite necessity. I was in the same situation, so I found a good deal on a srt4. It's been worry free since I got it. You can always buy another dsm down the road.

From his avatar that is a decent, clean 1g. Those are getting very hard to find. I say keep it.

i'm 18 with 2 crashes under my belt so i get bent over on insurance
the only reason i would consider another car is because i would be driving so little and this new insurance company would cover an srt4 for $45 a month for a year

On, the reliability issue, I drove a DSM to school and back everyday. At 70 mph it was an hour drive one way. I never had a problem with that car. I just maintained it like I was supposed to.

The money to buy, pay the tax on, and register the SRT-4 will be more than your higher insurance rates for 4 years.

Make sure you're shopping around for insurance BTW. Rates can vary by thousands. AAA has always been able to give me great deals, and i don't have the best driving record. With great liability but no comprehensive, i pay like $1300/year, which is great given the number of tickets i have.

WTF, paying LESS for an SRT-4?

I payed 120 a month for my 01 v6 mustang.
60 a month for my 91 formula firebird
quoted 110 a month for an SRT-4
quoted 130 a month for an 05 WRX
I pay $25 a month for my Talon.
$30 a month for my Subaru SVX

Get a new insurance company

WTF, paying LESS for an SRT-4?

I payed 120 a month for my 01 v6 mustang.
60 a month for my 91 formula firebird
quoted 110 a month for an SRT-4
quoted 130 a month for an 05 WRX
I pay $25 a month for my Talon.
$30 a month for my Subaru SVX

Get a new insurance company
WTF?? who's your insurance
i hate being 18 hah

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back