The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

thermal exhaust sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupe_nasty

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Easton, Maryland
So i just installed a thermal catback system on my gsx. Has a nice tone but not like if heard on other peoples. Most ones i hear have a deep growl almost like a subaru. Mine just has a deep hum or tone. Im a little confused as to why i dont hear the same sound from mine. It also has a 3inch downpipe.

I love mine and it is not that loud either, only when I really push it..I have the stock downpipe, with a test pipe, no cat.
Thermal is not loud at all, imo.

One quick question how did you hooked up you 3" dp? Did you cut and weld the 2.5" thermal flange?

My exhaust isn't loud either I have a thermal as well, and i don't know why I doesn't sound like my buddies dsm, we both have the same setup. Minus the cat, he doesn't have one and I have a hi flow cat. Would it make that much of a difference?

I've never heard a DSM sound like a Subaru, they are TOTALLY different engines.

Camshafts will change they way your exhaust sounds.

My exhaust isn't loud either I have a thermal as well, and i don't know why I doesn't sound like my buddies dsm, we both have the same setup. Minus the cat, he doesn't have one and I have a hi flow cat. Would it make that much of a difference?

Yes, a cat will change the sound.
Same as having a resonator vs not having one or even having a bigger (longer) resonator.

I run the thermal too. I'm running a modified 3" mandrel bend Buschur racing down pipe. I'm running a Forced Performance 3" O2 housing with a V band clamp to the turbo outlet. The system sounds nice, not too loud, but still very noticeable.

I'm also running the thermal with a rre downpipe with cat delete. I love the growl it has.

I've never heard a DSM sound like a Subaru, they are TOTALLY different engines.

Camshafts will change they way your exhaust sounds.

Yes, a cat will change the sound.
Same as having a resonator vs not having one or even having a bigger (longer) resonator.

The engine is NOT what makes subaru sound the way it does, porches have boxer engines as well and clearly sound different

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back