The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Thermal exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipe99999

20+ Year Contributor
May 13, 2002
philly
I am getting a thermal exhaust for Christmas for my 98 GST. (My girlfriend is so good to me!) Any way I looked at the vfaq about installing the new exhaust and it did not seem very difficult. I was wondering if I have to drop the rear suspension to get the old out and the new in? If there are any other places that I can look for the install please let me know. Also any tips would be appreciated.

not as far as i know, it only took the place i got to put it on a couple hours and that was cutting the exhaust welding a flange on and doing the downpipe so I doubt it. just ubolt at cat and support it withs omething and take out of rubber hangers, then pull it out

You do not have to drop the rear suspension. There's just 2 bolts attaching it to the cat and 3 bolts on the flange in the rear. Then just unhook it from the hangers and pull it out.

The difficulty will depend on how rusted up everything is under there. Depending on how much winter driving your car has seen, there's a good chance you won't be able to turn the bolts and will have to remove them some other way. You can use a hack saw or grinder to cut them off, or use a drill to drill them out. It won't be very fun.

By the way, if you want to keep messing with cars the rest of your life, marry that girlfriend of yours.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to try to do it myself I have some air tools that may help get the bolts out. If I can't do that I will just take it to tires plus or something. I don't know how much it costs to put on though. Thanks again.

Like Jim97 said, the hard part is getting the old one off. With a lot of PB Blaster and the use of some heat on the really rusted bolts it will come off. Putting the new one on is all of 15-30 mins.

Make sure you have a new gasket for the Cat before you start.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back