The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

T25 blew (woo) Turbo Upgrade opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIHero

15+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2005
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Ignore my profile, it was my old car.

I got a 97 awd tsi with 70k. 3 weeks of having the car the T-25 blew up on the highway. When I got it was it leaking liquid out the exhaust and blowing alot of carbon so I figured the seal was bad. Well it was.

Anyways, since I don't have a choice and a rebuilt T-25 is out of the question because it sucks and it's too much money to justify buying it, I decided to go with a Small 16G and a 190 Walbro.

Other upgrades to the car are complete hard IC pipes
Greddy RS BOV
Joe P Boost controller

My goal for the car right now is about 300 hp on 93 pump. A small 16G will spool fast, meet that goal with all the supporting mods, and for what my car has right now and money factor, I'm choosing that over an Evo III.

I figure I'll run a 190 pump so I don't need an adjustable FPR, and a 190 is enough fuel to support the turbo at say.. 15-16 psi.

My exhaust is stock and I planned on upgrading this first but it's my only car so it's going to have to wait!

Questions are..

Should I go with the 34mm internal gate option ? Supposedly it opens more than the 31. It's also a small 16G not a Evo3 so I don't plan on ever going over 22 psi.

Should I port the outlet? I plan on getting the inlet ported but is the outlet worth it?

Do you think i'll get boost creep or spikes from this setup? And should anything else be ported BEFORE I go with a 3'' turboback? Like the o2 housing?

I just want to get together a plan as to "where to go from there". Kind of like a priority list.

:dsm:

I wouldn't go with a Small 16G. I'd go with Forced Performance Big T28 Upgrade for $599. If you want it ported it is another $99 and the 17psi actuator is another $99. You basically send them your blown turbo, they reuse the compressor cover and turbine housing and send it back to you. The 190 pump will be enough for the Big T28.

Here's a link to the FP Big T28 Upgrade. http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...oduct_Code=TUDSMBig28&Category_Code=DSM-Turbo

I can't really wait an extra week. I gotta go back to school.

I'd go for it. You probably don't have to port anything since boost creep acures in little bigger turbos like the EVO III 16g so you'll probably not going to have any problems. But you can get it ported just in case.
I would port the o2 and manifold if I was you. You'll gain a little more power. The s16g is a great turbo and spools nearly as fast as the stocker.

You can't go wrong with the e16g. It'll get you in the 11's with no prob, and it can be had for cheap.

or you can do a 14b, got one for sale....pm me.

If you do a pricewar..

Pricewar:

Big T28 T-25 Rebuild $800 - Ported/Wastegate Spring

Small 16G Ported inlet, 34mm mod, installation kit: $800

Okay so basically they're the exact same price.

Big T28 is probably easier to install. Big deal.

However the Small 16G will probably put out slightly more power and spool slightly faster am I right?

It just seems like a 16g vs. T28 the price and power goes to 16G.

I'll probably eventually buy a Slowboy exhaust manifold. I'm not sure about the O2 housing yet tho.

Question: don't turbo-back exhaust kits come with a new O2 housing? Do they still need ported? Also, If I switch to an external wastegate does ANYTHING need ported?

What should be ported for power, what should be ported for boost creep?

The Small 16G will not put out more power than the Big T28. You can compare the power of a Big T28 with a Big 16G (not small 16G). There are 4 versions of 16G - small 16G, 16G, big 16G and evo III 16G. There are 3 versions of T28 - T28, Big T28 and T28 Killer.

DGajre777 said:
The Small 16G will not put out more power than the Big T28. You can compare the power of a Big T28 with a Big 16G (not small 16G). There are 4 versions of 16G - small 16G, 16G, big 16G and evo III 16G. There are 3 versions of T28 - T28, Big T28 and T28 Killer.

Interesting. So your opinion is my best bet for the money is the Big T28 upgrade?

That might be true, but can I support it on a stock exhaust and just a 190 fuel pump with a stock regulator?

That is kind of why I wasn't leaning towards the Evo III 16g. No 255/AFPR/S-AFC to support it.

The best bet for your money is either the Big T28 or Big 16G if you want to run the 190 pump without an AFPR. To get the most out of the Big T28, you'll need a cat back exhaust (at a minimum), 550cc injectors, 190 pump and SAFC or GM MAF/MAFT for fuel control.

If you are running the stock exhaust, get the unported Big T28 since I don't see a point in getting anything ported. The 17psi actuator helps controlling the wastegate at higher boost pressures, but since you won't be doing that you can drop the actuator from your list (unless you have an extra $99 to spend).

You do know that you need to add an aftermarket boost gauge to your list, right? The stock boost gauge doesn't really tell you anything.

I'd say go with the evoiii. It makes more power than the T28. Boost creep was never really a problem for me, and I didn't port a damn thing. I can run as low as 15 with no spikes or creeps whatsoever, all the way to redline. Just a though.

One more thing. You CAN run a EVO III 16G turbo with a 190 pump, you don't need a 255 for it. While the 190 pump will provide more fuel, you need an SAFC only to control the upgraded injectors. If you are on stock injectors, you don't need a SAFC or MAF/MAFT.

FYI - CanadianTSI runs a 50 trim turbo on a 190 pump.

Yeah I use a DC-II for a boost gauge.

This is a tough decision.

I'm just trying to think of WHAT turbo will perform the best with what I have done to the car so far.

The Evo III will flow aton of air. That's the only thing i'm worried about.

Will a 190 and stock FPR be enough to prevent fuel cut?

def go with the evo3. once u get the small 16g or the t-28, ## gonna wish u went bigger. the evo3 is very affordable and awesome turbo. you only need 550cc and a 190 fp, good for about 20 psi or so. you will need an exhaust and fmic but u could wait for the fmic. i wouldn't even consider the other two.

i run 680's with my evo3, i truly think their too much. its cool to have the room to play with but for me its too much rooom and i'm on 20 psi. on my safc i run anywhere from -39 to -42 to get a decent a/f. 550's would b sufficient.

I would definitly go with the EVO III and 550's/ 650's whatever you think you want. Personally it seems like you don't want too much power so 550's are definitly sufficient enough. EVO III has quick spool, and good top end. Pretty affordable too.

I think i've come to conclusion that i'm going to with the Evo III and a 190 pump.

Turbochargers.com is selling them for $455 right now and Slowboyracing.com says they price match so we'll see if they actually do. I rather buy from slowboy than turbochargers.com

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back