The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Blew turbo on start up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboDSMer

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
Burlington, Massachusetts
Finally after a year i final have a motor back in my car. I just picked it up monday from the machine shop and installed all my parts pver the past few days. I got almost everything new under the hood with a few exceptions. One of the pieces that i bought new is an SBR Bastard20g. So i prime everything with the help of my very experienced friend and fire up the car. I let the car run for about 10 mins and shut it down because it was 1 in the morning. After everything cooled down i took off the intake pipe and gave it back to my friend who let me borrow it so i could start the car, was having a few minor none related issues. Then one of my other friends sticks his hand in the compressor housing and tries to spin the compressor wheel. This thing is stiff as sh*t. I mean you have to put in a decent effort with your finger to turn the wheel. So my question is WTF could it be that is causing the problem? And i checked the oil all ready for metal shavings and didn't see any.

Nope nothing could have fell into the feed hole i had it plugged prior to installing the oil line. I called SBR and the told me to basically check the oil for metal shavings and drain it and to run it again. they didn't say anything about what to do if the turbo is bad :|

Boosted98gsx said:
Did you hook up the turbo oil feed and drain and prime the oil pump using a drill to circulate the oil prior to starting it? Sounds like it wasn't primed correctly.

in reality priming a trubo is one of those "feel good" things that is not really necessary to do....

No nothing fell into the comp cover. I primed the turbo by pulling the ign fuse so the car wouldn't start and primed it that way. My friend has been building DSMs for over 8 years and has primed all of his turbos that way and has never had a problem. I am running the oil feed off of the oil filter housing.

halik008 said:
in reality priming a trubo is one of those "feel good" things that is not really necessary to do....

I'm interested in why you believe this. Please explain in greater detail.

MrBoxx said:
I'm interested in why you believe this. Please explain in greater detail.

Probably because most turbo builders/manufacturers use an ep lube when assembling the turbos. The lube doesnt thin and drain until it reaches a certain temperature. Theoretically, you "dont" have to prime a turbo because the oil should reach the turbo long before the assembly lube fails. I personally prime any new turbo before initial startup but it isnt really required.

92awddsm said:
Probably because most turbo builders/manufacturers use an ep lube when assembling the turbos. The lube doesnt thin and drain until it reaches a certain temperature. Theoretically, you "dont" have to prime a turbo because the oil should reach the turbo long before the assembly lube fails. I personally prime any new turbo before initial startup but it isnt really required.

yes that's part of it^^^

every single new turbo i have gotten or seen was never bone dry.

Plus our front cases are belt driven. As soon as we crank the motor over we are effectively pressurizing our lubrication system and oil is flowing thru out.

By the time our motors are fired up and idling the oil already reached the center section.

hakcenter said:
How many turbos did you pull apart to find they were lubed, when purchased brand new?

Three brand new turbos. Didn't have to pull them apart....the mere fact that the duct tape covering the oil inlet and outlets was dissolving and turning into mess due to pressence of a lubricant inside the centersection told me the center section PLENTY lubricated.

Unless you just rebuilt the motor and you don't already have oil in any of the passages, so it actually takes a LONG time to get the oil there.

ummm not as long as you think. Plus most people tap off the oil hosuings which have immediated and instant oil flow. The time it takes the oil to reach the center section via <2' -4an line is negligible.

Starting the motor, prior to any oil priming is dastardly, turbo or not. Some people are really anal, and hold the compressor wheel when priming.

Some people are also ####ing morons and hold on to the compressor wheel when priming. :sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back