The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Switching to Manual Steering Rack help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gDSM4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
San Jose, California
I've been driving without power steering for a couple of years I'm fine will the hard turns at a stop or in a parking lot, but will switching to a manual steering rack make a significance difference? The guy on DSMTrader said it's a lot easier and has a better turning radius.

Depending on how your power steering is disabled will determine the difference felt.
If you are running a power rack with it still hooked up to the pump just without the belt, the manual rack should be easier to turn.
If you are running a power rack with the lines looped and no pump at all, the manual rack will be a little easier to turn.
If you are running a power rack that has been taken apart and properly de-powered, there will probably be little difference.
The turning radius shouldn't change, although lock to lock will be different; the manual is more turns. However, some argue that this adds more resolution at higher speeds.

I don't exactly what I did a couple years ago. All I can tell is that the belt is off and the pump gone. I probably went the whole way not looping the lines.

There is probably no reason to get a manual rack now. If the power steering is off then the power steering is off. I don't see how switching to a manual rack can make the physical force any easier. I'll find better use of the money on other things.

It's a higher ratio to the steering wheel so you can get more torque from your input to the wheels. The problem (or good part) is you have more turns to get lock to lock. I think the disabled PS rack is just great the way it is. I thought there was more than enough granularity at high speeds.

It's a higher ratio to the steering wheel so you can get more torque from your input to the wheels. The problem (or good part) is you have more turns to get lock to lock. I think the disabled PS rack is just great the way it is. I thought there was more than enough granularity at high speeds.

Okay, so it's easier to turn, but would you say it's worth it or not? I cannot imagine how a manual rack could decrease the input torque.

By having a higher input ratio (more turns lock to lock), the manual steering rack will be easier than a disabled power steering rack. An example (all just theoretical, numbers not taken from dsm steering ratios):
- Let's say you turn the steering wheel 90* (left or right, does not matter), with a disabled power steering rack it will turn the wheels 25*
- Let's say you turn the steering wheel 90*, with a manual steering rack it will turn the wheels 35*

This type of equation is also why torque wrenches are longer than a normal socket wrenches. The longer the moment arm, the less torque need be applied.

Pete

And I love my manual rack. No more boiling over PS fluid at the track.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back