The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Power Steering to Manual Steering Conversion [Merged 4-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMRevolution

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2002
Sioux Falls, South_Dakota
I am creating the thread to discuss the pros and cons of the power steering to manual steering conversion. There really hasn't been that much discussion to this so I figured it was about time! :thumb: Anyways, here we go...

1. When converting to manual steering is it best to use the stock power steering rack or convert to a 1.8L manual rack?

2. Is the ratio of the manual rack going to be to small for autocrossing? Or wouldn't you even want to consider manual steering for autocrossing?

3. If you want to use the stock power steering rack for manual steering insted of using a manual rack, what would you want to remove or change to do this?

4. I was thinking about converting to manual steering, but I am not sure if I want to. Before I decide to convert can I just remove the power steering belt and see how I like it before going through the trouble of converting?

5. Will the power steering rack go bad if it doesn't have fluid in it?

6. Can the power steering rack be reused if it was once used for manual steering?

7. But most of all, what do you like and dislike about manual steering?

Feel free to ask anymore questions in this thread regarding manual steering or answer whatever you please. Thanks! :cool:

Wow! A whole lot of nothin in this thread.

One thing I can tell you is that you DON'T want to run around town on a drained power rack. That is ###. And you will be working extremly hard to get things going. A manual rack is just that. And it is geared for such. I would try to get a 1.8 rack and match it up. THat may require a lot of time on your part but it looks as if no one here has done it. So be the pioneer and blaze a trail. I have a 1G with a manual rack btw!

Originally posted by ILOSE
Wow! A whole lot of nothin in this thread.

One thing I can tell you is that you DON'T want to run around town on a drained power rack. That is ###. And you will be working extremly hard to get things going. A manual rack is just that. And it is geared for such. I would try to get a 1.8 rack and match it up. THat may require a lot of time on your part but it looks as if no one here has done it. So be the pioneer and blaze a trail. I have a 1G with a manual rack btw!

Thats the right way and perfect way to do it.

If somebody wants to loose the pump and drive around while they look for a rack do what I said. It's just a band aid for the ps rack.

Did anyone read the question? 2G not 1G a 2G!:confused: I already have my setup figuered out so this thread can be closed!

Originally posted by talont3t4
Did anyone read the question? 2G not 1G a 2G!:confused: I already have my setup figuered out so this thread can be closed!

Putting in a 1.8 rack?

Don't just use a loop.

Splice in a T fitting on the line so the rack and loop can be filled and purged of air. Bled like brakes almost. Mount the T above the rack so it is the highest point in the system. Fill it up and turn lock to lock a few times to get the air out.

Trust me.

With a full dose of fluid in those lines and no air pockets

These days I work on everything from hydraulics to back up generators.

Everything from the itty bitty CAT skid steers to the big stuff.

On the generator side from 2hp to over 2000hp.

no 2gs ever came with manual steering, as mentioned above. just steering with no belt on is a major pita, since its still a power steering rack. this doesnt have to be though; if someone designed a somewhat cheap manual steering rack with a really quick ratio...say, 1.5 turns lock to lock, id buy it in a flash. manual steering gives you muscles, and sucks up less horsepower.
just disconnecting the belt wont harm anything, so you can try it like that, but its wayyy too hard to steer. an easier way to test it would to be to get up to speed, turn your car off, then try steering. same principle, you arent driving hte power steering pump.
or hey maybe the 1.8 rack can be adapted tow ork.

Any more info on this topic? I want to get rid of it the right way...also MNGSX do you have any pics of how to do the things you described...I am totally lost about what is what, and where to make a loop.

Ok I am alomst done. I have one question.

The peice that come out of the manual rack and then goes into the steering coloum will not go into it all the way. I can still see the bottom part of the grooves for the spline or whatever. The rack is mounted as high as it will go and beat the piss out it trying to get it to go further in. Then I went up top and hit the column peice a bit kind by where ya put the bolt in to pinch it tight, and it just won't move anymore into the column. It's in there but just not all the way. Will this be ok to drive on? I tightened it all up and put the pinch bolt in and everything turns fine.

What is disturbing is last night I got the thing assembled and drove it. Well it's definatlly manual steering. It seems to adjust it's self though when i turn just a bit. Also I hit a nice bump last night and the whole steering took a jolt and it seemd to move. I was going to inspect the steeering colum after the drive but the engine was HOT so I will have to wait untill after work.

Does anyone else have input on this. I know I am not the only one to do this swap. I know I need an alignment as the steering wheel is about 1/2 turn off, but would it cause a little play in the steering? Alignment happens tonight.

Nevermind got it.

Got the alignment done and the guys at the shop said it was all done good minus the toe being 180 degrees off so the corrected it which now makes my steering wheel upside down.

Just need to get a steering wheel puller and switch the wheel back on right.

yes, i've seen a couple other threads about this; in said threads ppl suggest looping a line in the rack and "bleed" it, others say a 1.8 rack from a 1g may work, just wanting to see if there is anyone, on the planet, with manual steering on a 2g, and no i dont mean by cutting the belt on your pump, i mean by installing the manual rack.

how hard is it to steer? belt broke once and it was way to hard for me to steer, is it like that?

What is the part number for the passenger side mount for the manual rack?

Where can you get the passenger side mount (satan I assume, where else)??

Can I use the tie rods from my power rack (they're new, all 4)??

I know the manual rack is slower, but does anyone know the actual ratios for the two racks.

turbo8765 said:
What is the part number for the passenger side mount for the manual rack?
MB315178

turbo8765 said:
Where can you get the passenger side mount (satan I assume, where else)??
Junkyard

turbo8765 said:
Can I use the tie rods from my power rack (they're new, all 4)??
Yes

turbo8765 said:
I know the manual rack is slower, but does anyone know the actual ratios for the two racks.
2.7 turns lock to lock for PS but I couldnt find anything for the ratio on the manual rack, sorry.

turbo8765 said:

Like sean said . . . 2.7 for the PS rack lock-2-lock, think it's somewhere around 4 lock-2-lock for the manual rack.

Nice for road racing . . . but you'll never see me using it for autoX. I'm probably going to remove the pump, lines, etc . . . and loop a piece of hose from the input to the output port of the rack so what fluid is in there has somewhere to go and yet still keep everything lubed up. I've heard of RX-7 owners doing this with some decent success

I'll let you guys know in a couple of weeks how it goes.

Here's a question though . . . How in the world would you change the fluid in the rack?? It's ATF fluid, so would it really need to be changed since it's not being run through the pump anymore?

I know a few people have done this so... I'ma have the engine out on my project car, so might as well do this if it's worth the effort. Any info or maybe a tech guide would be appreciated.

If you have done it:
1) How's the handling? Tolerable, or was it not worth it?
2) What was the power gain if any?
3)Is it hard to hold the wheel at WOT on a slightly bumpy road?
4)Scale of 1-10, 1 being a Type-R Racing sticker, and 10 being the purchase of a pocketlogger, how would you grade this mod?

Thnx in adnvance

I've searched but I still need the rod end-passenger side bracket part number and a dealer's phone number to order it from. My local one here in Las Vegas has screwed up the order twice as they do with EVERYTHING I order from them. It's like they get paid extra to put in extra orders.

So if you guys don't mind giving me a part # and a phone #......thanks!

im looking for a connection for a manual steering rack i just striped out mine drifting around a turn w/o power steering. the nuckel on the steering colum and the spline pin are done....

rob :notgood:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back