The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Suggest Front Bumper Repair Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyGrowsCold

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2003
Barnegat, New_Jersey
While my car is further progressing towards a slow restoration I'm looking for ideas to help make the front bumper easier on the eyes until I find a replacement. The previous owner of the car cut away much of the bottom portion of the bumper as well as misplacing the bumper support. As it was the bumper had been zip tied on and unsupported. To correct this I plan on making some custom tabs, finding a used bumper support/crash bar, or lastly purchasing the JMF race bumper to support the bumper cover. Finally my question is does anyone have any photos or ideas on how they have, or would, support the front bumper cover and a temporary solution to make my current cover better looking (until the replacement is found)? I have been considering fabing up a tubular front bumper support but feel this may be a bit overkill for a temporary solution. Also for the cutout piece in the front cover maybe using lexan or some other type of flat material to bridge the gap between the two halves and make a ducting type system to help guide air into the FMIC. I'm open to suggestions and here is a photo for reference. (Sorry it’s an older picture from when I first brought the car home so it's pretty dirty.)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Use card board or stryofoam and just paint it black, use supports in te back to keep it from folding. Rain with the cardboard will be a problem

That bumper is going to be hard to find. Also, the bumper support is different for the talon than the others. Or atleast on my buddies 91 TSI.

Rain indeed would be a problem as well as road debris with styrofoam. Maybe thinking a 1/2" Dia aluminum tube from Home Depot then fold some thin gauge aluminum over to match the radius of the bottom lip, but than how to fix it to the bumper maybe pop rivets :hmm:

Looks pretty good mounted up in that picture. I got in touch with one of the site vendors, Miller Import Parts, and will be ordering (all used) front bumper, crash beam and other misc. bits and pieces that are missing.

For the future fiber glass with resin works well. at a old body shop thats what we would use to fix floor pans and rockers with.
Could hit rabbits, racoons, and possums with little to no damage to it

I considered using fiberglass and resin, but the cutout portion I felt, would be too large to repair with it (I haven't worked much with fiberglass so maybe it could have worked out). I had thought of using some sheet metal formed to the contour of the bumper then fiberglassing or using body filler to smooth it out, but wound up finding the used bumper I mentioned in my post above.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back